Medicated vs non-Medicated Starter feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by EggheadsRus, Jun 25, 2011.

1. EggheadsRus

EggheadsRus Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    I am looking at different starter/grower feeds for my new chicks (which will arrive in a couple of weeks). I am ordering my chicks from MyPetChicken and plan on having them vaccinated for Marek's. I was told by the lady at McMurrays that if I have my chicks vaccinated I shouldn't give them medicated feed. (I was originally going to order my chicks from McMurrays but they have a minimum order of 25) I live in MS and am having a hard time finding organic/non-medicated feed and the shipping costs online are prohibitive!!

Dazed and confused....

EggheadsRus

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Medicated feed is ordinarily medicated with amprolium, which helps them develop a natural immunity to cocci. This has nothing to do with Marek's, and you could give them medicated feed if they were only vaccinated for Marek's. However, there is also a vaccine for cocci, and if you had them vaccinated with this one, you should probably follow their directions, or read up on the cocci vaccine, which I don't know anything about.

3. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    You only need to avoid medicated feed if you have the chicks vaccinated for Cocci. The Marek's vaccine will not be affected by medicated feed.

4. EggheadsRus

EggheadsRus Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    Quote:Thanks classicredone and ddawn, that is what I needed to know. [​IMG] I was going to try feeding organic chick starter/grower/layer but it seems that is going to be way to difficult to find in my neck of the woods (MS). So I will go with the Purina Start&Grow and then the Layena when they are old enough.

Do any of you feed Babycakes to their chicks? And how long does a 2.75 lb forage cake last for say 14 grown chickens?

EggheadsRus

5. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    I haven't tried Baby Cakes, but I do have a couple Pecker Wreckers hanging in the coop to help keep them busy and also to keep the beaks from growing too long.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by