Medicated vs.Non with imported chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by desertgirl, Apr 23, 2009.

1. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    Hello!

I have three week olds, and will be getting three new babies in June. The chicks I have now were bought locally (New Mexico), and I was told by the feed store woman (in no uncertain terms,mind you!) that medicated feed is absolutely not necessary in this climate and shuold not be used.

But my chicks are 1) being shipped/ stressed and 2)coming from My Pet Chicken,not sure from where exactly....

Should I go ahead and feed them medicated just to be safe?[​IMG]

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Medicated feed helps them build a resistance to cocci, nothing else. Cocci is in the soil. I don't think it's a necessity for chicks even if they are shipped.

3. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    I use medicated for first 8 weeks! Helps prevent cocci!

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Whether you use it or not, they can still get cocci and then you just treat it when necessary with Corid. Cocci isn't as large a concern in dry climates as wet ones such as mine, but it still happens. Just get what you can and watch for signs of cocci.

5. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    And by telltail signs I am looking for unsteadyness,lethargy, and blood in the stool?

6. speckledhen

They'll ruffle up like they're cold when it is a bad case. And they will stand around. Then the "hamburgery" stools and in advanced cases, mustardy foamy yellow stools.

7. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    Thanks so much! I guess it would be prudent to go with the non medicated feed but have some meds on hand,just in case?

8. speckledhen

Yep, that's what I do now. Used to always buy medicated feed, but at a certain point, it just wasn't doing the trick. So, now, I just feed non-medicated and keep Corid on hand.

9. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    Excellent advice. Thank you so much!!![​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by