Medicated vs. Nonmedicated

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nccountrygirl, Jan 27, 2008.

1. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    what are every one's opinions on medicated feed. Is it better to give them medicated or not. Our feed store does not carry medicated so I would have to order it. Thanks......Laura

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    I dont use medicated feeds, i think they ruin thier immunity.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    And I use medicated and have never had a problem....lol...

4. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    I chose not to use a medicated feed because I prefer organic feed.

5. nccountrygirl

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Thanks y'all, keep them coming.

6. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

I'll be using medicated. I don't want to take a chance on having the babies get cocci and, as long as it's easily available and about the same price, I think I'd kick myself if I didn't use it and something bad happened.

7. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Lucky you Laura, you must have some babies coming with that new coop!! I used the medicated purina startngrow feed with mine when they were small and they are extremely healthy now. Good luck with your new flock!!!

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

See what the feed is medicated with. Usually the medicated feeds are just amprolium. If this is the case, it is just a thamine blocker that helps the chicks along in building their immunity to cocci. If it is sulmet and amprolium, it does the exact samething, just dont' feed it past 16 weeks because sulmet is a sulfer containing drug that some people are allergic to and can be passed to eggs.

I go with medicated because it helps them build their immune system up faster. It is not necessary though as not all places have cocci prevalent in the soil. I have done it both ways. Just had once case of cocci when I raised summer chicks on non medicated feed and there was a heavy rain that brought out the oocyts from hibernation and the chicks ate too much dirt with the oocysts in it.

In short.

Medicated feeds are usually juts amprolium. It is a thamine blocker, NOT an antibiotic or hormone.

Mediated feeds Prevent cocci and help Build resistance, not stop cocci infections.

If the medicated feed contains more than amprolium, do not feed past 16 weeks of age.

9. nccountrygirl

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Hey Darlene, I am. I'm getting 12 March2nd. from a breeder here in Sanford. I am getting a heavy breeds pkg. that will have Barred, Partridge, and some other Rocks, New Hampshire Reds And some Silver and some BLSW's. I'm so excited as I've never had babies before. The big girls are going into the new digs and when the babies get big enough they are going into the other coop. There will be the existing door there to keep them separated till they are able to defend themselves and then we will open the door and they will have both old and new coop between them. Thanks.......... Laura

10. nccountrygirl

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Bump, sorry mods I'm doing a survey and need more imput.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by