Medicated vs. unmedicated feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Wabi Sabi, May 28, 2010.

1. Wabi Sabi

Wabi Sabi Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2010
    I am getting my first ever hens later this evening and need to pick up a bag of food for them.

My question: is most commercially available feed medicated? If I want an unmedicated feed do I have to buy something organic, or does Purina or other companies make an unmedicated feed as well? I don't want to walk into the feed store this afternoon without having any idea what I'm talking about, LOL!
  2. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Feed for adult chickens is not medicated. Only starter and occasionally grower are medicated.
  3. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    It should be pretty clear on the bag whether or not the feed is medicated. I have to travel to a special store to find medicated feed for my chicks. (they roam with the big-kids, so I feed the chicks medicated)
    Last edited: May 28, 2010
  4. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    DO walk into your feed store and ask questions. Don't be ashamed to admit that this is new to you.. I ask questions and find out who at the store knows what they are talking about and who dosen't.
    Also, follow the instruction on the chick feed to stop feeding it to them before they start laying. You would NEVER want to be feeding medicated chick feed when they are starting to lay eggs that you will consume.
    Good Luck and Welcome to this addiction. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by