Medicating a chicken - how to get it in her?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jahphotogal, Mar 9, 2013.

1. jahphotogal

jahphotogal Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2012
    CT
    As mentioned elsewhere, my EE is recuprating after a hawk attack. The vet gave me some pain killer/anti-inflammatory, but I can't figure out how to get her to take it (it's in a little syringe.) Can I force open her beak, and if so, how do I make sure it goes down the right way and she doesn't aspirate it?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Much safer to drop it, one drop at a time, on the side of her beak and let her pull it into her mouth. It's probably a Motrin type drug (an NSAID;) you can also use baby aspirin. Usually they will simply eat the pill if it's baby aspirin, or of course you can hide it in a scrap of bread. The dosage is in a sticky at the top of the Emergencies forum. It's 25 mg per pound; a baby aspirin is 80 mg, so just right for a 3 lb chicken, probably two of them for your EE if she's an adult.

3. jahphotogal

jahphotogal Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2012
    CT
    She's only 3 pounds - itty bitty. She finished her medicine tonight - took the last dose we have. Still blind, but she laid an egg!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by