Medication Dosing Help, Please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Shawbeg, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Shawbeg

Shawbeg New Egg

Dec 6, 2014
    Hi folks,

New(ish) here, but not new to backyard chickens. I've got an old girl (14+ !!) that I feel needs some antibiotics. Her eyes have been intermittently goopy/closed for several weeks now. No other symptoms that I can detect. No sneezing, head shaking, rattling. Just the eyes. Maybe it's just "her time." She's lived such a long life already!

Anyway, I figure it's worth a shot, but it's been a long, long time since I tried doing the math to figure out dosing for an individual bird. Hoping someone here can help me out.

My local farm supply store only had one choice - Oxytetracycline. Dosing info. on the packet reads as follows:

Chickens: 200-400 mg/gal
    Packets/2 Gallons Stock Solution = 5 to 10

Packet size is 181.5 g (6.4 oz)

I'm lost!

Thanks in advance for any assistance. "Snowy-the-Wonder-Chicken" thanks you, too.

2. Shawbeg

Shawbeg New Egg

Dec 6, 2014
    Also, for what it's worth, I've called my (cat) vet, and also another practice that treats livestock. Neither was willing to offer any assistance. Unless, of course, I bring the chicken in. Which I am not willing to do.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Oxytetracycline dosage at the 800mg dosage is 2.5 tablespoons per gallon of water.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would also clean the eye out, and apply either Terramycin ointment, Triple Antibiotic ointment, or Vetericyn eye gel twice a day into the eye. You are so lucky to have a 13 year old hen. Could she have been pecked or stung?

6. Shawbeg

Shawbeg New Egg

Dec 6, 2014
    <<at the 800mg dosage>>

Packet indicates 400-800 mg/gal for CRD or Fowl Cholera, 200-400 for Infectious Synovitis. So, I would just reduce from the 2.5 T per gallon accordingly? Apologies if that's a silly question.

I don't think it's injury. It's both eyes, and she lives on her own (otherwise, she is a target for pecking). Some of what I read about using antibiotic ointment *in* the eyes made me question the safety of that...

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Antibiotic ointment such as Terramycin is for use in the eyes. Vetericyn eye gel is also for the eyes. If I were you, I would use the maximum dosage of 800mg as both Dawg53 and Casportpony have said. Since it is given in the water, she may not drink as much of it as she needs, so by maxing out the safe dosage, she may get enough to help her. Does she have a bad odor around her face that could possibly be coryza?

8. Shawbeg

Shawbeg New Egg

Dec 6, 2014
    Sorry. "Triple Antibiotic" was, I thought, just an OTC ointment. Didn't realize the others were specifically for eyes. Do they require prescription?

No, no bad odor.

Also, I'm not opposed to giving a higher dosage. I guess it can't hurt, since higher dosages are indicated for *some* illnesses. She does not consume much water, particularly since with weather is so cool now.

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    No prescription required for Terramycin eye ointment:
    http://www.jefferspet.com/products/terramycin-eye-ointment

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Vetericyn eye gel is also not a prescription, and found in feed stores. Terramycin Eye ointment was unavailable for awhile, but now is again available. My Tractor Supply sells it, but they lock it up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by