medication use

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by will23, Sep 3, 2016.

1. will23

will23 Just Hatched

Sep 3, 2016
    does anyone know how and where to give a chicken an intramuscular injection.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC!

What medication are you injecting and why?

IM injections are given in the breast meat of the chicken. I towel up the bird and lay them on my lap. Find the keel and move over an inch or where ever it is the meatiest. I first wipe the area with an alcohol wipe and then insert the needle.

Some meds are best as injections, some work better in water or as pills. Most IM injections go into the skin about an 1/8th inch. I like to alternate left breast, right breast each time so the bird doesn't get too sore on one side. After injecting I rub the area to distribute the medication.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  3. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    With thin medications you can use a 25 gauge needle. However with Pen G you will need at least a 22 gauge needle. It is much to thick to go through a 25 gauge.

4. will23

will23 Just Hatched

Sep 3, 2016
    I was told by several experienced farmers, and also backed that research when I found this site, that Tylan is the best shot for coryza or mycoplasmosis.(White foam from eye). All I can find says it is an injection.Is it the same as what is put into her water? I haven't given her anything yet because I want to be sure. I separated her.

5. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Tylan is great for Mycoplasmas, sinus infections and other respiratory infections. Tylan injections hit the blood stream fast. I would get this started ASAP.

6. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Which Tylan do you have? Depending, each dosage is different.

7. will23

will23 Just Hatched

Sep 3, 2016
    I have the tylan 200 injection. Any dosage info would be helpful.

8. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  9. will23

will23 Just Hatched

Sep 3, 2016
    Thanks for all the guidance, unfortunately I lost my sweet girl this morning. I gave her the tylan 200 a few days ago and she appeared to look better yesterday but this morning she was listless and having trouble breathing. later she slipped away quietly . Hopefully she went knowing she was loved.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by