medication

MCM37

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 30, 2010
besides worming is there any other medication that yall give to your birds. if so what age and how often. and is it sometihing that u do on ur own or with a expert

My Coturnix Quail are raised for meat. There isn't enough time for medicine to remove from their system before they are processed. These are not anything like chickens. I never medicate chickens or quail as I would not want to breed such that have been medicated. I want only strong, healthy, vital birds in my flock.

I use no medications. Not even on the breeders. Raise them healthy and you won't need anything else. I do give new hatchlings Poly-Vi-Sol vitamins the first few days. A week if I have brought in Shipped eggs. They should not need anything else. If they do there is a problem and they would be culled immediately. The problem then needs to be corrected.

You might want to have blue cote or Black Salve anti pick (natural ingred. not medicated) or such on hand, it will stop picking by others and help heal any picked chicks.

I give breeders a sandbox to dust bath in. In the sand box, I put some DE or you can use a little Wood Ashes, some oyster shell and crushed egg shell. They play in it and have a great time. Get their calcium and the DE or Ash helps get rid of anything bugging them. And of coarse, it helps keep them clean. Sand that gets knocked out gets mixed with their droppings and helps reduce the smell too. Oh, and they will usually lay their eggs in the box. So you do have to rub the sand off the eggs, but they are clean.

Good luck with your birds.

Mine Are All Elevated On Wire, They Get Wormed 2x's A Yr With Wazine Dispite Being On Wire And During The Fall Months I Give Them Free Choice Pumpkin(its A Natural Dewormer For Birds) Other Than That No Meds Unless Something Strange Would Come Up. I Do Give Them Vitamin And Electrolyte In The Water 2x Week During The Hot Months And 2x A Month When Cold. Mix A Lil Oyster Shell In Their Feed Once A Month(not Necessary But I Do Everybody Else Around Here So They Get It Too...) No Treats Per Se', Just Good Quality Gamebird Starter 24/7 And Clean Fresh Water.

I've been meaning to ask your about the calcium JJMR. I know you just use Startena throughout their life. So you just add some oystershell now and again? Not on a daily, weekly basis?

I want to try that. Just use the startena as I can now order the Purina Startena as needed. Not having to keep track of that and breeder feed would make it easier. I put the oyster shell in their dustbaths along with crushed egg shell, so that should be good.

Quote:
JUST ONCE A MONTH. THEY REALLY DO NOT NEED IT, THE GAMEBIRDS ARE WAY MORE EFFICIENT AT ABSORBING CALCIUM FROM THEIR DIET THAN MOST OTHER POULTRY SPECES. A GOOD STARTER OR LAYER FORMULA (GAMEBIRD OF COURSE) SHOULD PROVIDE ENOUGH CALCIUM FOR THEM WITHOUT SUPPLIMENTING. I DO SHIP ALOT OF EGGS THO, SHIPPING IS TOUGH ON THEM, I LIKE TO HAVE THE HARDEST SHELL POSSIBLE FOR THAT FACT, AND I SUPPOSE ITS REALLY 1 OF THE VERY FEW TREATS THEY GET HERE. BUT BASICALLY I FEED THE OYSTER SHELL TO EVERYTHING AT LEAST ONCE A MONTH AND FOR LACK OF A BETTER WAY I MIX IT ALL AT ONCE AND JUST FEED THE QUAIL AS I WOULD ANY OTHER TIME.... RATHER THAN GOING ALL THE WAY BACK TO THE FEED SHED AND GETTING FEED WITHOUT OYSTER SHELL I JUST CHUCK THE OYSTER MIX INTO THEM AS I WOULD FEED ON ANY OTHER GIVEN DAY. IT WONT HURT THEM IN MODERATION AND HELPS MAINTAIN STRONG BONES AS WELL AS GIVES THEM DIGESTIVE GRIT FOR A WHILE. SO WHILE ITS NOT MANDATORY, IT WONT BE DETRIMENTAL EITHER
smile.png

When you say "pumpkin" do you mean pumpkin seeds (properly formatted of course) or just any parts of pumpkin? I can do pumpkin/winter squash or any guards, because they just grow wild around here.
wink.png

I don't know about all "Game Birds" but coturnix quail are very efficient calcium converters by simply metabolizing calcium from their (Game bird feed)+ calcium rich greens, or simply from their feed. No oyster shell required, but it doesn't hurt...as long as it is never substituted for high quality feed!

And...for the record: Adding oyster shell doesn't really make the egg shells thicker, the way it does with chickens, but it does make them stronger, and adding it to their diet does help out on the bird bones.
It's a processing thing.

Joe Any Part Of The Pumpkin Is What I Have Always Been Informed. I Go Out This Time Of Yr And Get Some Small Pumpkins And Just Hack Them Up Into Pieces And Start Scattering The Pieces Into All My Bird Pens
smile.png
Seeds And All...

Back
Top Bottom