Medications for quail, needed or not?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by quails-n-tails, Dec 26, 2018.

1. quails-n-tails

quails-n-tails In the Brooder

Sep 20, 2018
    so cal
    I am a newbie, i have 12 quails, 2 mails, coturnix, awesome little things, I love them. I only had them for a few months and all i am doing is feeding them and giving them water and salads and such. all healthy, all happy.
    my question is: Is there some kind of medicated anything i should be administering to them in any form, as in feed or sand baths? I just want to make sure they are safe and stay healthy as well as my family who eats their sweet tasty eggs :)
    thank you in advance :)

2. le_bwah

le_bwah Songster

May 1, 2018
    Boise, ID
    My Coop
    I'm a proponent of not medicating unless the animal is showing signs of illness. If they're happy and healthy now, there's likely no need to give the anything medicated.

3. 007Sean

007Sean Addict

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    As long as they are healthy, there's no need to medicate. Main thing is to provide fresh, clean water and a high protein feed of at least 24% .
    Droppings in the water can cause Intestinal Enteritis, which can wipe out a flock in a hurry. As long as you have clean water, and no overcrowding, it's not a problem.

4. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Songster

Oct 30, 2017
    Central Texas
    Medications should only be provided to sick animals that won't get better on their own.

5. quails-n-tails

quails-n-tails In the Brooder

Sep 20, 2018
    so cal
    thank you all you are awesome :)

007Sean likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: