Medicine cabinet

Folly's place

Enabler
10 Years
Sep 13, 2011
southern Michigan
I have Gordon's permethrin spray concentrate, for any mite or louse issues that might turn up. Also a dedicated large dog crate for isolating an injured bird if needed.
Antibiotic ointment, like Neosporin, Silvadene, or the oldie but goodie Maluka honey, for superficial wounds.
Anything else is in our home first aid kit for everyone, nothing special for only the chickens. In fact, that's also where the ointments all are.
Keeping it simple!
We haven't ever had to treat for coccidiosis, so nothing for that here. Also nothing for other intestinal parasites, not a big problem here. if either turn up, I'll get fresh drugs.
Many meds have expiration dates, so there's no reason to keep a big stash of stuff that will be old before it's ever needed.
Mary

LikeTurkeys

Crowing
Jul 25, 2018
Southern California
I have 27 + chickens and I'm curious as to what is best to keep on hand for illnesses or any sickness they can get. I just lost one to egg bound. Just need to know what I need to keep. I have antibiotic already. Thanks
Sorry for your loss :(. @Folly's place made an excellent post. I use many of the same things, also keeping on hand Sav-a-Chik for weak chicks or when the weather is really hot outside. Some use Veterycin (which I have not purchased or had to use yet, though I might in the future). I do use Neosporin often though. I also keep calcium (in the form of Tums) around, but that is a common item that @Folly's place pointed out can be used for everyone, not specific to chickens. I have had to use Amoxicillin in the past for treating a oviduct infection, but I would not necessarily say that I keep it on hand as it is something I use only rarely. It sounds like you have antibiotics covered though.

Folly's place

Enabler
10 Years
Sep 13, 2011
southern Michigan
Antibiotics have expiration dates, and some may be okay for a while after that date, but it's chancy. And so many drugs are not approved for use in poultry anyway!
Keeping a healthy flock doesn't include treating everyone for chronic illnesses either. Injuries benefit from ointments, and if systemic drugs are needed, get them fresh for that bird.
Forgot about electrolyte solutions, but they can be home made, and except for chicks with shipping stress, not often needed.
Mary

HollyWoozle

Crowing
Jun 12, 2018
Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
I have permethrin spray, vetericyn and neosporin (without pain relief). I also have 'purple spray' (mine actually has chlorhexidine in) and I think your equivalent is blu-kote or something like that? I'm in the UK. I have sometimes used that when reintegrating a chicken who has been wounded or one who has a small wound as it seems to stop the others from pecking.

I am currently using 'critical care formula' by Vetark and that has been a lifesaver for a sick hen so far and seems very well reviewed. Am assuming you get there or something similar. I also have some avian probiotics and vitamins in powder form, vaseline, saline, Ivermectin, flubendazole (licensed poultry wormer in the UK), aspirin and epsom salts. I keep a selection of things like sterile gauze and vetwrap to hand as well as tools like good scissors, tweezers, water droppers, syringes, clippers suitable for trimming claws/spurs (mine are for dog claws originally) and one of those pens that stops bleeding in case you catch the quick when trimming. I think it's also useful to have a crate as others have said and some old towels that you don't mind sacrificing.

We also have horses and cats so it's handy to have a good first aid kit anyway as many of the items can be used for different species. I am learning as I go and try not to use things or interfere with the chickens if not necessary, but I feel happier being prepared.

Top Bottom