medicine conversion - help please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jemmasgrandma, Sep 23, 2010.

1. jemmasgrandma

jemmasgrandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Ok...I have 14 hens that need worming (round worm). the directions on the Wazine bottle are 2 ounces per 2 gallons water for 100 birds. So I figure I need about 1/8th of an ounce of Wazine for 2 cups of water, is this right???? and if it is how in the heck do I measure 1/8th of an ounce [​IMG] -and yep I know Wazine is not approved for egg layers but what am I supposed to do?? will destroy/not eat the eggs for at least 3 weeks.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

3. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

jemmasgrandma, you have 14 chickens, so you will need almost two gallons of water anyway, mix two ounces in two gallons like the directions say for 100 chickens.
    Dump all your other waterers the night before, and put them away. Early the next morning, use ONE waterer that will hold two gallons; you won't have much left to dump after they've all drunk from it for 24 hours.

4. jemmasgrandma

Apr 27, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    mmm, I'm scared to give them that much Wazine. 2 ounces is for 100 birds. If i give 2 ounces to my 14 chickens it'll kill em... won't it?

will check out the converter, I have a syringe...

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    The reason they say 2 ounces for 2 gallons is that it's for a large amount of chickens. The chickens will only drink it for 24 hours then you dump it out. So each chicken is going to drink the same amount whether it's from a gallon, a pint, or a lake.

One ounce per gallon, and give them the gallon and no other water for 24 hours. Then dump it. For 14 chickens, I would put a gallon out so they don't run out.

6. jemmasgrandma

Apr 27, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Oh, I get it.. I think [​IMG] mix the 2 gallons & 2 oz, let them drink for 24 hrs then remove the remaining water? they won't drink it all right? If Bones dies my little grandson will be heartsick!

Quote:

7. jemmasgrandma

Apr 27, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    haha [​IMG] that's funny and I feel really stupid! will do what you guys say:he
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by