Medicines kept on hand when chickens become sick

DustyRoo

In the Brooder
Mar 4, 2017
I wanted to know what are the most often needed medicines kept at home for use when one of your chickens become ill? I have Corid, Molasses, Apple Cider Vinegar Diatomaceous Earth. What about an effective antibiotic?

The one and only thing I keep on hand is Poultry Nutri-Drench. Though I do keep some poultry dust (permethrin powder) on hand, just in case. IMO, keeping an antibiotic is a waste of time and money.

The one and only thing I keep on hand is Poultry Nutri-Drench.  Though I do keep some poultry dust (permethrin powder) on hand, just in case.  IMO, keeping an antibiotic is a waste of time and money.  

Thanks for the advice. I also have Nutri-Drench, Vitamin E and Selenium I am using for my Silkie with Wry Neck.

I am looking into some of this lady's herbal mixes and suggestions. Her book was given to me for Christmas (so I have not tested much) but it is interesting, it has recipes for health and cleaning etc, most items she suggests I can actually find/grow cheaply.
I do like her electrolyte recipe and her cleaning recipes...I can use those for me and the family!!!!!
Maybe useful to you
idunno.gif

http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/

Chickens shouldn't get sick. They'll get mites, lice and worms and there are methods to deter that. I use wood ash for their dust bath for example. If something comes up, say worm infestation you'ld purchase what is needed to remedy it as the situation occurs. Knock on wood, it's not happened with the use of wood ash. The only items we keep here is blu-kote spray for wounds and electolyte with vitamin powder for watering new hatches and in hottest days of summer.

Bought a package of corrid, just in case, 4 years ago....never needed it.
Have some Chik Saver(vitamins and electrolytes).... have used it during heat wave.
Permethrin powder and liquid for external parasites...have used it for lice.
Have some vetricyn for wounds.

If a bird does get sicker than those things can treat, they get euthanized.
I won't use antibiotics and the DIY herby stuff is mostly snake oil.

Have some fold-able wire dog crates(24"L x 18"W x 21"H ) with 1x2 wire in the bottoms,
(tray can used under crate for cleaner feet and easier observation of feces or inside of it)
for isolation, have used those several times for a hurt leg or observations of ailing bird.

I wanted to know what are the most often needed medicines kept at home for use when one of your chickens become ill? I have Corid, Molasses, Apple Cider Vinegar Diatomaceous Earth. What about an effective antibiotic?

Welcome to BYC!

What medications one chooses to keep really depends on how they feel about their birds. If these are pets or show birds, the best thing to do is consult with a vet if/when they get sick because a vet will be able to prescribe the right drug(s).

Some people cull/euthanize sick birds, some are willing to pay for vet visits, and some keep drugs on hand to treat, which is what I do, but stocking the right drugs can be expensive, and many of the more effective drugs are banned for use in poultry.

You could buy some tetracyline, oxytetracyline, or doxycycline, but those will only treat a few diseases, and the same is true for Tylan (tylosin), amoxicillin, Cephalexin, penicillin, and the many sulfa drugs. The most effective drugs are banned for use in poultry. :(

Bought a package of corrid, just in case, 4 years ago....never needed it.
Have some Chik Saver(vitamins and electrolytes).... have used it during heat wave.
Permethrin powder and liquid for external parasites...have used it for lice.
Have some vetricyn for wounds.

If a bird does get sicker than those things can treat, they get euthanized.
I won't use antibiotics and the DIY herby stuff is mostly snake oil.

Have some fold-able wire dog crates(24"L x 18"W x 21"H ) with 1x2 wire in the bottoms,
(tray can used under crate for cleaner feet and easier observation of feces or inside of it)
for isolation, have used those several times for a hurt leg or observations of ailing bird.

Yes I also have a small dog crate I usually use it when one of my hens go broody. I place it a little off the floor on blocks to allow airflow and it snaps them out of it in a couple of days. Thank you for replying.

Back
Top Bottom