Mediworm for Tapeworm

Quail1994

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 30, 2011
Hi there

Has anyone that reads this ever successfully treated their chickens for tapeworm with Mediworm tablets? The other question is how many pills can I give my chickens, they are whey between 2 and 3.3 kilograms? I already bought these pills.
I know it's tapeworm because I can literally see them moving in the droppings.
pp.jpg

https://www.jedds.com/shop/mediworm-tablets-100-ct-medpet/

DESCRIPTION
A broadspectrum deworming tablet for pigeons, raptors and galliforms. Mediworm is currently the only broadspectrum single dose, combination tablet, known of in the world. Highly effective against Roundworm, Hairworm and Tapeworm.

Extremely safe, causes no regurgitation and is very economical. The small size of the tablet makes it easy to dose. Mediworm is the golden standard in routine deworming.

Composition:
. Pyrantel Pamoate 20mg
. Praziquantel 5mg

Dosage Treatment:
. May be used in the breeding and racing season.
. Dose one Mediworm tablet per pigeon. The tablet must be dosed on an empty crop.
. In case of severe worm infestations, it is advisable to repeat the treatment after 14 days.

Read post 1 here for praziquatel dosage where it says that dosage is 10mg per kilogram:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/treating-tapeworms-under-construction.1220309/

That dosage should be repeated in 14 days I believe. Tapeworms have intermediate hosts, such as earthworms, snails and slugs, flies, and beetles. Keeping droppings cleaned up, and removing those hosts will help to keep the chickens from getting recontaminated.

Damn, judging by all the info I have gathered on mediworm tablets my 3-4 kilogram birds will need about 6-8 tablets each of the mediworm to make sure it does the trick, which is a bit heavy...maybe I should try get my hands on Equimax for horses... I don't know what to do, I already have the mediworm tabs.

The dose for Praziquantel is 10 mg/kg, repeat in 10 days and the dose for Pyrantel Pamoate is 4.5 mg/kg, repeat in 10 days. Basically Pyrantel Pamoate should be 1/2 the composition of Praziquantel, which it isn't, instead it is 4x higher. A 4 kg bird would need 8 tablets for the Praziquantel dose but you're getting 180 mg of Pyrantel Pamoate. I don't know if that is going to cause problems or not but I think I would just buy some Equimax or Zimecterin Gold.

I think I'm going to try find equimax today.
Without making a new thread, is it possible to keep worms at bay or prevent worms rentering the chickens system with giving apple cider vinegar twice a weak? I see many people swear by it. This is now of course after the full treatment of equimax.

I did my own experiment with ACV to treat my chickens that had ascarids. It didn't do anything to help get rid of them. I did also give them some ACV and water about once per week (for the probiotic part, avoid giving on hot days) so that didn't help to prevent worms either.

I've actually tried cayenne pepper and tobacco snuff with zero success. The closest thing I've come across is fresh crushed garlic in the water once per week for a days time. That has seemed to slow the worms down but did not fully prevent them.

I don't have any experience with tapeworms but @dawg53 has.

Equimax will take care of tapeworms pronto. It is given orally, dosage is 0.03ml per pound or 0.15ml for a 5 pound chicken. Repeat dosing again in 10-14 days.

Unlike roundworms, you only have to treat chicken(s) that excrete segments (like in your photo). Once the Equimax is administered, and a couple of hours later, it might be possible to see pieces, chunks or strings of the actual tapeworm excreted in feces. Otherwise it will be digested as protein in the chickens digestive tract.

When dealing with worms in poultry, you dont want to mess around with organic products that may not work. There are different types of poultry worms that can take a chicken down quickly. You want to hit them hard and fast with a chemical wormer just like you would with a dog, cat or human. No guesswork about it.

Last edited:
Equimax will take care of tapeworms pronto. It is given orally, dosage is 0.03ml per pound or 0.15ml for a 5 pound chicken. Repeat dosing again in 10-14 days.

Unlike roundworms, you only have to treat chicken(s) that excrete segments (like in your photo). Once the Equimax is administered, and a couple of hours later, it might be possible to see pieces, chunks or strings of the actual tapeworm excreted in feces. Otherwise it will be digested as protein in the chickens digestive tract.

When dealing with worms in poultry, you dont want to mess around with organic products that may not work. There are different types of poultry worms that can take a chicken down quickly. You want to hit them hard and fast with a chemical wormer just like you would with a dog, cat or human. No guesswork about it.
Thanks, should I give them buttermilk as a probiotic the day afte the equimax in their feed and at what ratio? Should I give them plain water or can they have their vitamin/amino acid water?

Thanks, should I give them buttermilk as a probiotic the day afte the equimax in their feed and at what ratio? Should I give them plain water or can they have their vitamin/amino acid water?
After I worm my birds, I prefer to give them buttermilk mixed in plain boiled white rice for one day. They scoff it up. I make it kind of runny, there's no specific ratio.
Also ensure your birds always have fresh clean water to drink. No need to add anything to it.

Back
Top Bottom