Medlar for a chicken treat. Good idea?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by MargaretYakoda, Sep 27, 2013.

1. MargaretYakoda

MargaretYakoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Irondale, Wa
    Today, after a long Dr appointment, when I got home, without thinking about whether or not it might be a good idea, I picked one of our medlars and took it to the girls to see if they'd eat it at all (I just wanted a little quality time with my girls!). I thought they'd take one bite of the medlar and spit it out. Nope. They LOVED it! They totally ignored the zucchini slices I gave them.

So, here's my question: Should I go easy on the medlars? Or would it be safe to feed the girls one every couple days or so?

For clarification, this was a medlar straight off the tree. It wasn't bletted. And once they got their beaks on it they just tore into it.

2. MargaretYakoda

Jan 28, 2013
    Irondale, Wa
    Bump.
    Anyone?

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    The only thing I see is that Medlars straight off the bushes are high in tannins, think I would make sure they are bletted if you are going to feed many of them.
    http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/toxicagents/tannin.html
    " In poultry, small quantities of tannins in the diet cause adverse effects
    levels from 0.5 to 2.0% can cause depression in growth and egg production,
    levels from 3 to 7% can cause death. "

4. MargaretYakoda

Jan 28, 2013
    Irondale, Wa
    Yipes! OK so no more medlars (at least, not until I figure out the exact level of tannins in our medlars)! THANKYOU!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by