1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. daisymae8

daisymae8 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2014
    can i use a insulin syringe to give my chickens meds and if so how do i measure?
    where can i get syringes if not.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Buying syringes at feed stores may be done in most states, but in some it is illegal. If your insulin syringes are 1 ml, then it would be fairly easy to use, since they are divided into tenths (each 10 units.) What are you trying to give? Some medicines, such as penicillin, are too thick to go through an insulin needle.

3. daisymae8

daisymae8 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2014
    i was going to get tylan 50 to keep on hand.trying to get what meds i might need built up. i found out when fowl pox come thru my flock it was needful to be prepared before trouble comes.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I keep 1ml and 3ml syringes for giving medicine orally. I also have 22 gauge needles for giving injections. The feedstores I shop at don't sell anything smaller than 3ml, so you might have to order those.

-Kathy

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Tractor Supply usually sells syringes and needles in boxes, but they lock them up, so that a clerk has to unlock them for you. Tylan is easy to give with a 3 cc/ml syringe and a 22 gauge needle. Intramuscular injections should only be injected 1/4 of an inch into the breast muscle. For penicillin, 20 gauge needles are the ones to use. Most medicines will go through a 22 gauge needle, unless they are thick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by