Meet Baldy...(PIC)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by KellyHM, Jan 2, 2009.

1. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    This is a little Frizzle I hatched out 6 weeks ago. I can't figure out what the deal is with his feathers. He got his wing and leg feathers in at the normal time, but now it's like he won't get any more! I know he's not a double Frizzle b/c the lady I got the eggs from only has a smooth roo and frizzled ladies. Any ideas? Is he just slow to mature?

[​IMG]

2. spookyevilone

spookyevilone Crazy Quail Lady

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    Quote:Oh my.. I think he's adorable [​IMG] Hopefully he feathers out and doesn't wind up like one of those nekkid chickens.
    -Spooky

3. What's the red skin over his eye?

I'm wondering if he doesn't have some of skin condition... Can chickens get things like that?

4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I'm thinking Baldy will be winner of BYC's 2009 Ugliest Chick Contest.

I'm sure he'll grow up to be a gorgeous hunk of a roo though. Be patient.

5. KellyHM

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I think the red is just a trick of the camera. The rest of him looks a little pink too and he's really not. He acts completely normal, other than seeking heat more than the others...

6. KellyHM

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Quote:[​IMG] Well, maybe at least I'll win something! I can't seem to win any contests with my pretty chickens!

7. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Poor lil guy, he must get picked on something terrible by the other chicks! [​IMG]

Hopefully he is just a late bloomer.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'd supplement him with chopped hardboiled eggs every day for a bit to help him with feathering out. Poor little thing! Suede was pretty bare himself at 4-5 weeks old. In the Orps, that usually means a cockerel, so it's one way to help sex those. Your little one is probably chilly!

9. KellyHM

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    He's definitely a little roo. He's in a pen with other babies and my meaties, so they all snuggle and keep warm. Plus they have 2 heat lamps. And it's only down in the 50's here.

10. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    Looks like he was run through the plucker! [​IMG]

Seriously, I hope he feathers out for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by