1. Fancy Feather Poultry

Fancy Feather Poultry Cooped Up

May 30, 2007
    I have been wanting a Parakeet (Budgie) for a while now, and wanted to get a femae one to lay me cute little white eggs. And pet and scratch her head. I bought this one from the pet store this friday, I was pretty sure it is a girl after my research young female parakeets have lite blue and white nose, I am pretty sure it is stil young because it still has some faint bars on her head.

Here she/he? is:

[​IMG]

So, what I am asking is does this look like a female or male to you and what do you estimate how old it is?, and when do parakeets start laying eggs?

2. chickengirlnm

chickengirlnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    my father breeds keets and lovebirds- all the males have a blue " nose " females have white to a light beige - the older the bird gets the darker the blue will get.

as far as age i really cant tell.
    another way to tell if you have a female or not is to lay bird on its back take your pinky finger and starting at the birds chest run the tip of your pinky down the body you should feel its breast bone - when you get to the area between its legs if it stays sold you have a male- if there is a space big enough for the tip of your pinky to rest in than you have a female.

very cute bird - but it think with that blue you have a male

Julie

3. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Looks pretty young to me - the bars are still pretty far on top of the head.

We had our parakeet about a year before she started to lay.

4. Fancy Feather Poultry

May 30, 2007
  5. Fancy Feather Poultry

May 30, 2007
    I did what chickengirlnm said, and there was a gap big enough for me to put my pinky in.

6. arlee453

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Cere color is very 'variable' in young birds. When Buirdy first found us her cere was about that color as your bird - very pale bluish.

She is most definately a girl and her cere has turned more pinkish as she has matured.

7. Fancy Feather Poultry

May 30, 2007
    Arlee, update me with some pictures of your baby parakeets.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2007
  8. arlee453

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Will do - I'll update the other thread on my parakeet babies in a bit...

9. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    I don't how what it is as far as sex and age because I know nothing about them but I can say...how cute is that bird!!!!!

10. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    I've only had a few so not really sure, but it looks fairly white on the forehead which would mean it's older, but that may just be from the lighing, all mine when I got them had the bars almost all the way down to their noses. Also it's hard to be sure, but it looks like in the pic that you can see the ring around it's eye, from what I understand when they are younger their eyes are completely black, but as they age they will get the ring around the eye (so the pupil is more obvious), and it gets lighter as the bird ages. Can you see the ring? Or is it just from the angle of the pic?

Either way it's a very pretty bird! Almost makes me want another!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by