Meet Gretchen ....she is my one of a kind..what is she?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by aquafarmerri, Nov 5, 2016.

1. aquafarmerri

aquafarmerri Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2016
    WAKEFIELD RI
    [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

So can someone tell me what she is? She loves to sit on my hand when all the other go running....she has different markings from the other black birds.
    [​IMG]
    She will be a month old Monday !!

So I also would like help with the others if you have time...[​IMG] this little one loves to peck at my camera my rings, my arm, just about anything that moves in front of her...[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also can anyone tell me what bugs these are possibly why they are there and how the heck to rid them without chemicals....[​IMG] pest #1
    [​IMG] pest #2
    [​IMG] possibly #3 not sure if it's the same as one...

Thanks for your help in advance!

2. BlueJuniper

BlueJuniper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2016
    Albuquerque NM
    My Coop
    Hi aquafarmerri!!
    Those are some adorable chickens, an I hope you enjoy them. I apologize, because I have no idea what the first chicken is. Maybe a plymouth rock or laced wyandotte, but I am not at all certain. The red chidden below the first looks a lot like a rhode island red, or a red star of some sort. (but again, I am no chicken expert).

Those bugs look a lot like what I have here, and it seems totally normal to have them. A really effective way I use to get rid of those little bugs is peppermint. Crushed raw peppermint, or a few drops of peppermint essential oil if you have it. Peppermint is safe to have around the chickens, and the bugs absolutely hate it!

Hope this helps, BlueJuniper

3. aquafarmerri

Oct 17, 2016
    WAKEFIELD RI
    Love the smell of peppermint I will defiantly try that!! Thanks!

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I wouldn't worry a bit about those bugs. Let the chicks eat them. I believe Gretchen is a Dominique. A close up of her comb and her feet would help with identification.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  5. aquafarmerri

Oct 17, 2016
    WAKEFIELD RI
    I'll get those pictures for you tomorrow but there isn't much of a comb yet she will me a month old Monday...big heavy feet...[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Gretchen's color is barred. She' may be a barred Rock, that's the most common breed. What color are her legs?

The little reddish chick looks like a production Red. Basically, a hatchery offshoot of a Rhode Island Red.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    M R chickens.....an chicken food!

Sorry, goofy afternoon.

8. aquafarmerri

Oct 17, 2016
    WAKEFIELD RI
    Where can I get heritage Rhode Island Reds

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
  10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    From an established breeder. You'll need to do some research and see what they should look like, as many folks will call pretty much any red bird a Rhode Island Red.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by