meet Hank my new Boxer update post #6

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by piecemaker, Apr 19, 2011.

1. piecemaker

piecemaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    This moring I was talking to a friend and told her I had decided not to get a Boxer puppy. Just didn't want to deal with all that puppy stuff. I thought maybe I'd look into getting an older Boxer. She just smiled and said her mom was cutting back on some of her breeder dogs. She had a 6 yr old male that she was looking to rehome. My DH said he may have been a give away dog but he was far from free, we drove 450 miles round trip to get Hank. He runs like a chicken from my 4 lbs yorkie
    So here is Hank

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  2. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    I love boxers [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    ADORABLE face! Our animal shelter had THREE adult Boxers 2 weeks ago! We are in a very rural area, and they looked like well-bred dogs. One was turned in, but the other 2 were strays that were not together. [​IMG] Beautiful dog! [​IMG]

4. Soaring Chicks

Soaring Chicks Soaring Hawks Farm

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson,NC
    very nice hope he works out for ya'll!

5. tay_boe

tay_boe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Awh I used to breed boxers! I just love them. They have so much personality. I love the little goofy dances my girl does. Pretty boy congrats and good luck!

6. piecemaker

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    Just an update on Hank. We found out he is terribly gun shy found out he was shot when he was 18 months old.

Now he has Separation Anxity. He chewed the trim work off the door and the knob almost off tore up a 30lbs bag of dog food and a 16lbs bag of cat food ( that was on the counter top) and the corner of the counter top all in 30 to 40 minutes. Talk to the vet and she gave us a collar with a smell in it that is suppose to calm him. It work some at least he slept thru the night for the first time in 3 weeks.

The vet also said try him in a create. So got a wire one. Old owner had created him in the past. Seemed to do good for a few hours so thought he'd be ok. Next day go to the doctor and leave him in the create in the bunk house. When we got home 4 hours later Hank was in the drive way waiting for us. Hank chewed the wire create door hinges off and got the door open, then he went thru the window I left open and tore out the screen. DH said at least he stayed home.

So call the vet again. We had plained on nuetering(sp) him soon as he setteled in. She said to do it now and it should help. So Hank had a day at the spa yesterday. He got his shots and got his stuff cut. So please pray this will help him. Can't take to much more damage. Vet said it will take 30 to 45 days to know if it worked. For now when I go to work he will being camping out in the stock trailer. Don't think he can tear anything up in there.

His saving grace is he is such a good dog (besides when I leave him). DH is willing to try what ever we can to help Hank, and he did not want to get another dog, we have 3 small ones already. So if you have some thing to try please let me know. Oh he can get a a muzzle off in 2.4 seconds.

piecemaker

7. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    Good for you for adopting! As you have seen the downside to that is getting an older dog with a mostly unknown history and behavior issues.

I just want you to know that neutering might help some, but these behaviors aren't going to go away. These are not sexually triggered behaviors, but anxiety triggered and anxiety has little to do with testosterone, excpet maybe to say that his anxiety might be exaggerated by the hormone.

8. ChickenFanaticAB

ChickenFanaticAB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    GA
    He is a handsome boy! Too bad he is so much trouble so far! My one suggestion would just be exercise, exercise, exercise. I know it might be tough, but before you go anywhere try to take him for at least a mile long walk, or take him somewhere safe off leash and let him run for a while. At least then he might be too tired to cause chaos the second you leave. I guess other things to try are leaving him alone for short amounts of time to start, gradually getting longer, playing music while you are gone...things like that. I sure hope he works out, sounds like a lovely dog otherwise...you could even try getting sedatives from the vet...use those for a little while and as he learns that you will return when you leave, slowly wean him off.

9. piecemaker

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    Jamie vet thoughts were that he had been used as a breeder so thought it would help. Needed to be done any way.

ChickenFanaticAB we walk 1 and half miles a day plus chase the ball during the day. The vet said he gets more exercise than most dogs.

I work nights so thought he would be ok because he would sleep at night. Dh said he sleeps off and on during the night but the collar helped with that.

Thanks for the help
    piecemaker

10. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    have a weimaraner with seperation amxiety and the vet gives me anxiety meds for him. It is like xanax for people, now we have to put the trash up but other than that he is good all day in the house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by