Meet.... Hercules....my miracle roo.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by justusnak, Jan 25, 2008.

1. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Ok, here is his story...Hercules was hatched last summer, by one of my RIR/Australorps. He and his brother are the only two survivors from the hatch, of 5. ( predators)
    About 3 weeks ago...we had another dog attack. I lost 2 hens...and Herculese. It was cold, and rainy for the 4 days following the attack. We looked all over for the little guy, never finding a body...We figured the dog ran off with him. 4 days after the attack, I was in the back yard with my dogs...just enjoying a little sunshine, and watching the chickens forage in the woods behind the house. I quickly did a head count, and told my son there was one missing. We looked around, and saw a chicken in the edge of the woods...when my son said, there she is mom. I looked, and saw it was NOT a hen, but my little roo...who was missing for the 4 days. My son ran out to get him, when Little Man ( Hercules's brother) attacked my son! He was relentless...trying to protect his brother. My son was able to grab the injured roo...and we took him to the coop, to look him over for injuries. It was then, apparent, Hercules's back was broken. He could not stand...but was sitting on his rump...legs out in front of him. He was allert...lively, and hungry. I promised him I would try everything in my power to help, but would not let him suffer...and if he looked like he was suffering, I would put him down. Well....its been 3 weeks of therapy..high protiene feed...vitamins...and warmth. Here he is today!!

[​IMG]

He is walking...eating fine..and even crowed today! [​IMG] Even tho I do NOT need another roo...this one is DEFINATELY a keeper! He will be our little mascot..our picture of hope..and faith.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Wow, what a wonderful story! I'm all choked up. What a will to live he has.

3. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    Even if he looks okay, you should get an animal hospital to fix his back. it might impair him in the future.

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I called every vet within a 50 mile radius. Not one of them will even look at a chicken. When I explained I thought his back was broken...the said to " put him out of his misery" Well...he was eating..drinking..on his own..and talking to me when I went to his pen. He is not a breeder...just a pet. He will have a pen to himself this summer....next to his brother...who by the way..stands by Hercules's pen most of the day..talking to him. His strong will to live, is why we named him Hercules.

5. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    I love these type of stories. The will to live has something so powerful in it that we will never understand it. I say, never give up. If he can walk and eat and has survived this - make him a card-carrying member of the "There's always hope" club. Continue to feed him extra protein foods and veggies and fruits. Buy him some crickets and mealworms and continue the TLC. I believe he will be as strong as ever.

6. Chick-N-Law

Chick-N-Law Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2008
    Kentucky
    What an inspiring story. Take care of that little guy. He and his brother are definitely keepers.

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Great story! Chickens sure can be resilient with some tlc.

8. chickenfeathers

chickenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

I *love* stories with happy endings! Thank you!

I worked up this picture for you. Hope you like it!

(((hugs)))

[​IMG]

9. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    glad he's still around, great story.

10. suenrob

suenrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Ft. Myers, FL
    What an awesome story!!! He is beautiful!!!! Good luck to you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by