1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Meet Mickey! our... silkie?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SimmyChicky, Dec 9, 2014.

1. SimmyChicky

SimmyChicky Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2014
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Thats what I assume from the feathered feet and extra toes. But this lil cutie has 1 deformed toe. Not sure what to make of it. Is it part of that bad gene in silkies? We got him from some friends quite a distance away

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. spitfirecream15

spitfirecream15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2014
    In the Boondocks
    that's odd! I've never seen anything like it! Is Micky purebred? I don't think Silkies carry any lethal genes (?) so what caused that toe I don't know. do you have any other chickens or silkies?

3. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    Looks like a cross, not a silkie the feathering is off.

4. Spring-Chicken

Spring-Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2014
    Stone Mountain, GA
    He's not a silkie if he's growing proper feathers. There are other breeds with 5 toes, and plenty with feathered feet. Maybe a Faverolle mix?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  5. SimmyChicky

SimmyChicky Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2014
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I don't think he was purebred, but I was told that they seen a Silkie rooster in the flock that Mickey came from.
    I was wondering if there was any other extra toe'd chickies but I couldn't find any info on other types.

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Mickey is definitely not a pure blood Silkie. Other breeds with five toes include Dorkings and Faverolles.

7. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Extra toes and/or nails are not uncommon on 5 toed birds. The five toed breeds are silkies, Houdans, Sultans, Dorkings and Faverolles. Silkies are the most common of those breeds so it is possible there is one somewhere in his background.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I don't even think Mickey has ever met a silkie - though some hatchery bred can have hard feathers, pink skin, wrong number of toes etc - just probably from very poor parents. Just because Mickey isn't pure silky doesn't mean you can't enjoy him just as Mickey. If you needed/wanted him to improve your stock - well, he's not up to that. Generally I advise people to beware of friends bearing chickens. They tend not to live up to expectations.

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    He is not a Silkie; possibly a Silkie mix.

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by