1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Meet my crowing hen. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Summer98, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Summer98

Summer98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Here's my Easter Egger hen that was recently discovered crowing in the morning (pre-dawn) along with my rooster on their perches. She is one year and one month old. She does not look like a rooster or act like a rooster, but she was crowing. What do you think? The only odd trait is that she has a large, floppy comb. I need to observe for her in the nest boxes, but I am not home enough to watch for it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    She looks very much like a hen to me. If it makes you feel any better, I had a hen that would crow everyday. She had an impressive set of spurs and would beat the crap out of my roosters. But she was one of my best layers and the best momma hen I'd ever had. I lost her to a hawk last year and I sure to miss that girl (and all of her crazy behavior)!
    Nikki

3. Tina12

Tina12 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2013
    I have a crowing hen. She is a 7 year old Buff Orpington and started crowing a couple of years ago when our rooster was killed by a fox. It is very funny to watch her "try" to crow. She is not good at it. She doesn't crow all the time. Just when someone lays an egg. I recently put 5 week old chicks in our grow out pen and she seems to be crowing a lot more...lol. I think she is showing them who is boss.

Tina

4. Summer98

Summer98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Thanks for sharing your stories. I do feel better about it now. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by