Meet my fridge ducklings..

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sara, Jun 16, 2008.

1. sara

sara Title Needed Here

A little over a month ago some wild savage made off with my pekin drake. My hen had either stopped laying or was hiding the eggs where I couldn't find them. I had some of the eggs in the fridge for at least two weeks. I took them out, brought them to room temperature, and set them in the incubator. 28 days later I have 6 of 6 eggs set hatched. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Sparkalator

Sparkalator Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    Florida
    Wow, that is amazing. Always heard that never works, I guess you proved that wrong. [​IMG]

3. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree, I always understood that you need to leave them on their side, in a warm dry place for no more then 1 week! They and you are amazing!!!!!

4. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Congrats on the fridge babies!! [​IMG] They're adorable!

5. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Aw they are so cute! [​IMG] Can I have some? jk

By the way, that's amazing too. I watched a documentary on Artificial insemination. They said they freeze the fertilized horse and cow embryos until they are ready to insert them into a host who will bring them to term. They said they have to use something special to prevent the cells from suffering damage during the freezing process. I believe they sad the cells exploded by being frozen normally. I guess you did something right. I would not try it though.

6. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    Wow~~you defied the odds & how cute they are!!! [​IMG]

7. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I only did it because my drake was sadly killed. I would not expect the same results in all cases, but it worked this time [​IMG]

8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Good Job Sara!! How lucky. I have heard of folks incubating and hatching eggs after they were in the fridge, someone tol dme about that after I had expressed concern shipping eggs in our freezing cold winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by