Meet my girls!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by twiggyandbuff, Aug 21, 2014.

1. twiggyandbuff

twiggyandbuff New Egg

Aug 21, 2014
    Hi there

Our two hens are nearly two years old and came to visit for 10 days at Christmas. We ended up minding them for a further 3 weeks which stretched out to 3 months following they were offered to us for keeps! I and my husband love to watch them potter round our garden where they free-range for the latter half of each day when we are home.

So, meet Buffy, a buff sussex, large and fluffy and a guts, who loves to forage and scratch and dig deep holes. She is currently in a chicken ark placed over one of our raised garden beds and the place looks like a total battle field after 3 days' worth of her activities.

And Twiggy, a brown leghorn with a jaunty walk and cute floppy comb which we call her fascinator. Twiggy moulted heavily over this past winter but returned to her former beauty plus more, beginning to lay again.

You might like to read about Twiggy's recent 'adventure'...

Twiggy likes to search out 'special' places to lay - under the lavender bush by our front door, or over the wall to our neighbours' front garden, or just in the middle of the lawn. When she was nowhere to be found one afternoon, 3 weeks ago I was concerned but hopeful that she would return before dark but no sign. We were heartbroken. Extensive enquiry round our neighbourhood but nothing. She'd vanished. Last weekend, 15 days on from her disappearance I reluctantly removed the signs we had pinned on the lamp posts in the neighbourhood. A nice sunny afternoon, I had some seedlings to plant out and was digging in our raised garden bed when I heard a rustle. Glancing down the back of the garden I expected to see a rat scuttling away and to my amazement and consternation, saw our beloved Twiggy, wedged at the bottom of a gap no wider than 4inches. The gap between the planter box and fence gets progressively narrower and she had been unable to back out when she found that she couldn't go forward! Poor poor little bird. We levered the side of the box away sufficient to ease her out - very limp, feet clawed, comb dried and bluish but that little beady eye with still a tiny spark... Amazingly and unbelievably, she is slowly regaining her strength. Three days of crop feeding to re nourish and hydrate her complimented by physical therapy, chicken styIe I.e. She is supported in a sling with legs hanging down to give her practice at assisted weight bearing plus regular time practising her perching skills (she can now perch for 5 minutes on her strong leg) I have brought her home from the vet today to continue her rehab programme at home, hopeful that we will continue to see her progress to a point where we can reintroduce her to companion!

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    OMG Poor Twiggy, how did she survive all that time? What a horrible experience, I hope each day brings her closer and closer to full recovery. Please cover your run, so she cannot fly over, or escape . I don't think chickens ever learn their lesson.

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    My goodness! I hope she recovers!

4. twiggyandbuff

twiggyandbuff New Egg

Aug 21, 2014
    Her progress since being rescued has far exceeded expectations. Am quietly confident that we'll see that jaunty walk around the garden again but will be keeping an eagle eye on any future explorations.

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Oh my goodness, poor Twiggy! I hope she continues to recover 100% after her ordeal.

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Oh I am so sorry about Twiggy!! That is just awful! But I am so glad you found her and she is on the mend. I hope you can nurse her back to complete health soon. Keep us posted, I would love to hear how she is doing over the next weeks and months. [​IMG]

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Poor Twiggy, she is one lucky chicken to have survived! Hope she makes a full recovery. :fl

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

I'm sorry about Twiggy--sounds like she had quite an experience! Hope she makes a full recovery!

10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm sorry about Twiggy. It's amazing that she survived. Hopefully she will have a complete recovery. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock, and especially Twiggy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by