1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Meet my little blind chick, Honey

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by NewToFarming, Dec 7, 2010.

1. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    I have been pretty busy lately with new chicks and stuff so I am finally getting to be able to post some pictures of my little blind chick named Honey. She or he is the sweetest little thing! Loves to be held forever and will fall asleep with her head on my shoulder.
    I had gotten a bunch of chicks from someone and didn't know she was blind so the first 5 days I had her I imagine she couldn't find the food or water It wasn't until she got pooped on and I gave her a bath, noticed she was thin and weak that I realized she was blind. I started to pump her with food, water & vitamins and she is doing great now! I am keeping her in the house right now with the youngsters and will try to set something up in the coop much later. She is gaining weight and growing well. She can find the food now but I still hand feed her everyday just to be sure she is getting enough. She is getting along great and plows everyone out of her way when she wants to go somewhere. She is just the sweetest little thing!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. card5640

card5640 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Bangor area, Maine
    Very pretty bird, but oh the work. Hope she makes it.

3. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Thanks! Yes, lots of work but I think she will make it. She to too sweet to not make it! [​IMG] I will just have to figure out what to do in the coop when the time comes.

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    S/he is adorable! [​IMG]
    Be sure to keep us updated! [​IMG]

5. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Oh Lisa she is gorgeous. I do think she looks like a Honey. Her namesake agrees with me to. She was in my lap when I looked at the pix. Bless her heart and you are awesome! She is one lucky girl. Especially to have the name of Honey.

Hope everybody else is doing ok up there. And yep definitely want to meet ya when I come get my KC drake (whenever that is)

Love ya and give Honey and the others a kiss for me. Ha yes I said kiss cause I kiss my girls all the time.

Lisa

6. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Did you post about Honey when you first got her?? I think I remember reading about her then...or a similar story at least. So glad to hear how well she is doing, and to see pics of her growing up. My blind duck is just the sweetest little thing - Im sure Honey is every bit as special as my Stevie-Ray

7. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Great to hear this lovely story - there are so many folk who come on here after finding they have a chick with eye issues and think the only option is to cull.
    It is good to show there are other options for these chicks and that they can have a good productive and happy quality life with the right aids and support.
    Some folk with large flocks are unable to give that individual attention needed by a disabled bird - however for smaller flocks when someone is able and willing to adjust to a disability these birds can be such a blessing !!!!!!!!! YOU ARE A REALLY GOOD EXAMPLE OF HOW THIS CAN WORK!!!!!

Oesdog [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Thank you! [​IMG]

Ducky...Yes, I did post about this little one when I first figured out she was blind because I was kind of freaking out and I was thinking she might also have wry neck but I do believe her neck issues were from just being so weak when I had figured this out. I do recall you responding to that post about your duck Stevie-Ray which gave me hope for this little one to be able to lead a semi-normal life with some support. But I never got to put pictures of her up until now since she is doing so much better.

Lisa… Yes, I must admit I do give Honey Kisses too! I think she needs them. I am glad your Honey approved! [​IMG]

Oesdog… Yes, I would understand how this would be difficult for a larger flock because it is time consuming. I try to get at least 3 additional feeds into her a day where I know she is eating well for sure, Once before work and 2 in the evening after work. She absolutely loves moistened chick feed! I add the vitamins still each day to it. I also figured giving her the moistened feed will help get some additional fluid into her too. She now knows when I get her out onto my lap that food is coming and she starts to peck right away.
    I could never cull this little one especially after hearing her little sing-song after she is done eating and snuggling on my shoulder! I think she will be OK with making sure she will be as safe as possible and to ensure she is eating & drinking enough!

9. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    What a lucky little lady to have an owner like you!

10. she is so sweet looking! she is lucky to have you definitly! I bet she will be just fine with the others and in the coop once she figures out the layout. She will love you forever! nothing wrong with kisses. I kiss mine goodnight every night when i tuck them in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by