Meet my new Muscovy pair

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by WestKnollAmy, Jun 5, 2011.

1. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    You all may have seen that I had gotten 2 beautiful chocolate Muscovy girls a few months ago. [​IMG]
    I totally adore them and the lady that owned the parents said she would sell me more of them as soon as they hatched. I even asked if she would sell the parents since I am in love with the offspring but she said no.
    So she comes up last week and says yeah, she will trade for some Frizzle/Sizzles and I jump at it![​IMG] None of the eggs the girl was sitting on hatched and she got disgusted with them.[​IMG]

So I now introduce to you Herman and Penelope!
    We are getting to know each other slowly but I tell them I love them every day and I think they may be warming up to me.

[​IMG]

Their daughters, Huggs and Kisses. Ignore the Runner duckling. He is a bit clingy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And my friend that knows how much I love the girls so brought me more Muscovy kids.
    Hershey in the middle of the first photo and Coco on the left. Coco in the second photo.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I hope these turn out to be girls, too but I worry Hershey is a boy. Or worse, both are boys. [​IMG]

2. un-named

un-named Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    nice pics! glad yer happy!
    ...so do all muscovies develop the red stuff around the eyes and face? I like what i hear about the breed, but am not attracted to the red stuff!!!

3. WestKnollAmy

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I have seen a few girls with very little but the guys usually always develop a lot. And a lot of girls will get more as they mature but I am no expert.

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    There all lovely! a great selection of colours.

5. WestKnollAmy

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Thanks.
    I do not care what color my Muscovy are but have a friend hatching out some blues and she said she would sell me some of those, too. That may be interesting.
    The chocolates are appealing but Penelope is also very pretty with her flashy black and white.
    Hershey is a combo of color so I probably should have gone with Snickers instead but they come in 2's it seems like so far and I come up with names to fit them that way.

I do not know why I named Herman and Penelope those names but when I looked at them it jumped out. I have a pair of Pekins named George and Gracie. I just see it and name them.

6. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    Your scovies are gorgeous!! The colour side of scovies can be really exciting, there are so many variations.. looks like you'll have quite the flock! [​IMG]

7. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    very pretty birds! a tiny part of me is interested in getting some scovies but i cannot get over the caruncles. maybe next year.

8. WestKnollAmy

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    You know, at first I felt the same way.
    It took me seeing them for a while to get used to the males. And I thought it was gross but I sit in the coop now and rub the faces of my broody Muscovy girls and it doesn't feel weird at all.
    I haven't attempted to touch Herman much since he hasn't been approachable and wasn't raised that way but I do handle the girls and love on them, much to their chagrin.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by