Meet my new rooster "Hagrid" and a photo of barnyard love in bloom ...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by bagawk, Mar 24, 2012.

1. bagawk

bagawk Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2012
    [​IMG]
    This is my new rooster, who was a rescue. His name is Hagrid. I dont know what kind of rooster he is. While it doesnt matter whole lot because he's just beautiful, it would be kinda nice to have an idea of what he might be. Any takers on thoughts on this? Buff Orpington perhaps?

Below is one of my RHI chickens and her favorite horse "Bo". She runs to his feed bucket and he shares his feed with her. She stays near him all day long talking to him.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  2. Amarisus

Amarisus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Fallbrook CA
    Aaaaww such cute animals! Hagrid looks like a buff orpington to me but I'm no expert

3. christineavatar

christineavatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Bolinas, CA
    Isn't it funny how size doesn't matter in friendship?

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    How cool a hen loves a horse! Too funny!

The rooster looks like a big fella.

5. fifibreen

fifibreen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2010
    Illinois
    Too cute! It's nice when everyone shares!

6. bagawk

bagawk Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2012
    He is a rather large boy. We enjoyed his antics this morning as he was trying to establish that he was top bird doing his little half circle dance and herding the girls around. Neither of my RHI's have had a Roo around before so they just look at him like "Right" and do their own thing. The funny thing is, he's never had hens before but seems to instinctually know what to do and is really confused that the girls aren't taking him seriously.

Kind of like when us ladies see a young guy strut and we sorta smirk and go "Riiiiiiiiiiighhht" and walk off?
    Yep.

Poor Hagrid. He ran himself ragged trying to keep these two together. Usually they wander off seperate and pick around the yard. I think he lost weight today trying to keep up with them. He was raised as a cage bird so the free range concept is new to him. Every time a horse comes near him he lets out that "predator" scream. He about lost his comb when Floppy jumped into Bo (see photo above) feed bucket and began having breakfast with him.

Guess Hagrid doesnt like the idea of sharing his mahogany darling with a big fat ugly chicken eating predator ... LOL!!

7. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    That's so sweet [​IMG] I'm glad Hagrid has a new lease on life.

8. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

How precious! [​IMG] I would think your roo is a Buff Orpington also? [​IMG] Maybe someone with more knowledge will know for sure.

9. Roy Rooster

Roy Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Beautiful Roo, He is a Buff Orphington. My BO Roy Boy is such a sweet heart. I love his
    personality and how well he takes care of the girls.

Here is a pic of Roy so you can see that your boy is most likely a BO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Roy is about 9 months in these pictures. He still has some more tail feathers to grow
    in, but I think you get the idea.

Your Roo is beautiful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by