Meet "Newton" my found homing pigeon-pic

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by chickensioux, Oct 18, 2009.

1. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    [​IMG]
    Since the owner didn't want him/her.....
    This is "Newton" (English for-new life). He will be loved, cared for and live a long and peaceful life here with me.

2. mahsmaj

mahsmaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Hannibal, Missouri
    It's beautiful! I've always thought that pigeons were so ellagant but simple little creatures. And yours proves that to me!

3. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Aww, Newton is beautiful! Looks very comfy with you! [​IMG]

4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Color is a red bar. Will make you a nice pet

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Beautiful bird, and good on you for the rescue! You DO realize that this is only the beginning?

6. chickensioux

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Quote:Oh no.....I've already had bad thoughts. He is such a sweet bird. I was hoping that pigeons weren't as addictive as chickens or ducks but I guess I'm in trouble, huh?

7. chinbunny

chinbunny In a hutch

Aug 24, 2009
    Get him a hen and show them. [​IMG]

8. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:Get her a mate, looks like a hen or young bird. Looks like its still a little stress also, its hard to sex by pics. You will know when she lays or he start coo ing alot

9. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Quote:Get her a mate, looks like a hen or young bird. Looks like its still a little stress also, its hard to sex by pics. You will know when she lays or he start coo ing alot

I agree, it does look a bit stressed, but then again it has been through a lot. Should recover from that in a few days.
    To me, it appears to be a cockbird. Also looks like a yearling (the band should say 2009). Either way, by this age you should be able to get a pretty accurate guess by vent sexing. When you hold the bird, feel the pelvic bones at the vent. If there is a space and/or the two bones are very flexible, then it is a hen. If they are very close/touching and won't budge (well, don't press down hard, you can just gently put your finger between the bones to see), it is a cock.

10. chickensioux

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Oh thanks, I will try that. I have heard a couple of coos as well, does that mean male? He's very calm and eats plenty, what are you seeing that says stress? I need to learn these things. How can I already love him so much....he's just awesome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by