meet our new rescue horse, "Big Daddy" (update post 22)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by technodoll, Jul 16, 2010.

1. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    Do you believe in destiny?

DH and I had been thinking of finally getting our own horse this autumn but were a bit hesitant because of cost, complications, etc... We're absolute novices and have never owned a horse before, but we have 12 acres (most in paddocks) and a big stable - we've been here a year now and have one paying renter (her horse has been here for 10 years!) and one "freebie" horse to keep the tenant company. We were kinda tired of feeding and boarding someone else's horse for free, you know?

So last Sunday morning.

I open Facebook and see a crosspost on a friend's wall: Urgent! Foster homes needed for 6 belgian geldings seized from a neglect-and-abuse situation!

I showed the post to DH and the photo just broke our hearts... how can anyone let their animal starve to skin and bones like that? The horses were found in filth up to their shoulders, not exercised in months, not fed, watered, vetted - nothing. They beaten, abused, they were riddled with mites, lice, worms, you name it [​IMG]

Horse Rescue got them through a court order and spent 4 months vetting and rehabilitating them with food and good care but now they needed urgent foster (or adoptive) homes... DH and I agreed to look into it, I emailed the Rescue and got a call back right away saying it was urgent and the decision had to be made the same day, would it be possible to drive up and see the horses?

So... Um... I went... with DH's blessing and the owner of the tenant horse as she is a horse expert... we fell in love and I got chosen by Big Daddy. Literally. Standing there in the small herd, dwarfed and in awe, this gentle giant came up from behind and nudged my hand with his soft muzzle, stepped back and when I turned around I was met by the saddest eyes on earth... My heart just broke and melted right then and there. I had to have him. Once the paperwork was drawn up I found out he's only 6 years old... how many of those were spent in utter misery I'll never know but my goodness, what a gently, respectful and sweet boy - it's just incredible.

We went to get him today, finally, and you cannot imagine how blessed we feel.

Big Daddy, you will never again go without a gentle touch, love, the best food and care we can provide - you are home now.

We love you [​IMG]

The lady who transported him said he was one of the best horses she's ever met in her life!

[​IMG]

PS: Big Daddy is a belgian, a good 17 hands if not taller and should be around 2300 lbs once he's gained the muscle mass he so badly needs. These horses were starved when they were found and it will take a year to get him back into shape.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  2. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    That is amazing!!! I'm so glad you could take him! He'll be beautiful when you get him fleshed out more. Good for you for providing such a miracle for him![​IMG]

3. The Lisser

The Lisser Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

What a beautiful boy and a touching story!!! So glad that you two found each other!!!!

Melissa

4. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    You made my day!! Big Daddy is a Big Beauty. [​IMG] He's going to be stopping traffic when you get him filled out. What a kind face. Where's a smilie green with envy?!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. my3chickens

my3chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Maryland
    What a beautiful boy he is and what a beautiful person you must be to welcome him into your home. I hope he brings you as much joy as all of my rescues (dogs & cats) have brought into my life. Best of Luck to you and you family.

6. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    OMG........... He is soooo handsome!!!!! [​IMG]
    He is a very lucky guy now. I hope the others get a happy ending too [​IMG]

7. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    What a beautiful horse! Let me just say that we've had rescue dogs, cats, horses, etc. but of all of them, the horses seem to appreciate it the most. I am not bashing the other animals, and they definitely appreciate it, forever, but the horses really really do.

We got a ranch/rodeo gelding...pure hard working horse (almost worked to death-he was on his way to the horse brokers), had never been used for pleasure, never been treated nice, very serious and fearful, head shy...you name it. Within a few weeks of being at our farm, he was coming up to us for lovins, letting us rub his head, and not running from us. Now, a few years later, he is the most ridiculous animal I have ever met! [​IMG] He splashes in the pond, spits water at us, will play tag, and you can do absolutely anything with him.

This horse will remember what you did every day of his life. The fact that he chose you, means you have a best friend for life.

Congratulations!

Shelly

8. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Quote:That was beautiful, I'm tearing up!!!

9. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    Quote:That was beautiful, I'm tearing up!!!

Me too! gosh! Thanks so much everyone!

He's only been here a few hours and is already at home... after one handful of fresh grass that was it, he's all lovins! He steps aside when we go into his box to clean up, he's a cadillac - never seen anything like it... he's been introduced to carrots and yep, he definitely loves being spoiled! Tonight, DH and I were telling him goodnight and he put down his head for us to scratch him on the forehead - we teared up, it was such a MOMENT!!

He's the first horse I ever met that I am not one bit afraid of... holy cow.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  10. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    What a wonderful story. I cant wait to see some pics in a few months; he will be a show stopper. You did a wonderful thing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by