Meet Rylie, my blind chick

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by awheel11, Jul 16, 2010.

1. awheel11

awheel11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Hey I just thought I'd share some pics of Rylie. She's a BR and was hatched blind. She didn't learn to eat until day four, I went out and dipped her beak every couple hours so she'd get some hydration. She now can find her feed on her own, and usually finds her water although sometimes she still needs guidance. She's a very calm baby and is getting in most of her feathers now. I'm hoping Rylie is a girl, but what do you think? She's a little over 3 weeks now. Thanks for looking!

Just a baby
    [​IMG]

Out on grass for the first time
    [​IMG]

About 3 weeks old in this pic
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My baby [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

She hears the big chickens clucking behind her [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

She lives by herself at the moment due to being picked on (doesn't seem to bother her at all), but the plan is to turn our old wooden doghouse into a little coop for her with run and hopefully find her an easygoing friend in the future. Right now, our big black kitty Remmy watches over her. (weird kitty, has zero interest in causing any harm to the chicks, wish the other cat, Bubbles, was that way [​IMG])

Hope you enjoyed!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Rylie is a little boy. [​IMG] 100% positive.

3. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 True BYC Addict

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    aww, rylie is so cute! and that comb looks a little big for a (girl) chick that age so im thinking it may be a boy but im not entirely sure, i guess we'll see as rylie grows, but either way he/she's cute and adorable, congrats! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

edited to fix the bunny dance... [​IMG] lol

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  4. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    I smell a ..... ..... 'House Chicken' !!!!

He's ever so sweet, but big feet !

Our house chicken, 'Lumpy', was born with what seems to be a missing bit of skull and maybe a dwarf gene, he now roams the house clearing up insects and sleeps in a Strawberry shaped cat basket at night. He's perfectly healthy and could go back with the flock but I don't think he'll ever reintegrate - my daughter treats him like a baby.

5. awheel11

Jun 23, 2010
    i should have know "she" was a "he" [​IMG] Out of the seven chicks, it looks like i have 6 soon to be roo's. Just my luck!

6. awheel11

Jun 23, 2010
    Quote:Spoiled Lumpy!! [​IMG] So sweet. I would love to have Rylie as a house chicken, my parents are just not as gung ho for that idea. But i'm working on it!

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    He's very handsome. If you could control the pecking issue - I'm thinking healthy doses of pine tar to teach the peckers a lesson - he could make it as part of your flock. [​IMG]

8. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    As long as he is kept in a sheltered environment and everything (food, water etc.) kept in the same place he will cope just fine. Get him used to coming to your voice.

I have a blind 5 month old lamb (called Dopey as it took a while to work out why he stayed alone at the side of the field and was not being regularly fed by his mother who eventually rejected him). Dopey now runs across the orchard for biscuits where he is kept with a companion ram as soon as he is called and is doing well.

The disability of blind animals and birds often plays into their favour if they are 'captive' born. Would you have wanted another rooster or I another ram lamb if they were fit and able? (Probably yes, but you would have known that you could not keep them all)

Sandie

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  9. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    my parents are just not as gung ho for that idea

I can tell you that I was not at all gung-ho at the idea at the time. I was persuaded to let him stay in the house for a few days until his head healed and as I half expected those few days became a few weeks, a few weeks is now a few months and I have visions of having a full grown cockerel wandering about the house in a few more months. My hope is that he is a dwarf or that when the hormones kick in he won't be able to resist going back to the flock.

We have another 'dwarf' called 'Sadly', a seven month old hen, who is not a house chicken but has been spotted scampering through the house occaisionally. If Lumpy and Sadly think they are setting up a new flock INSIDE the house I think I'll move my daughter to the coop.[​IMG] Better still I could just move to the coop [​IMG]

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Barred Rock males have wider white bars than the females, giving them a lighter overall appearance. It's a male, no guessing required. I have a Riley, who is a barred EE hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by