Meet Trip, My Jersey bull calf -- more pics pg 4!

My advice would be to do it, and do it soon! This is my cow Panda, she's very gentle and tame, but I can't tell you how many times I've been jabbed by them horns. Now I'm just trying to get up the courage to have her dehorned, wish I'd done it when she was a calf.
PandaHorns.jpg

thank you for the encouragement on it. your right even though he is a sweet boy accidents happen. and with my luck, they happen all the time lol im going to call the vet now and ask him if he does it
smile.png

ok i called the vet and the prices are super cheap which is awesome! I can believe it will only cost me $25 (plus farm call) to have him castarated and dehorned!!! woooo hooo!! Im waiting on a call back from the vet to set up an appointment!!!!
celebrate.gif
bow.gif

Yes, dehorn him. Even the best behaved can swing their head around and catch you with those horns by accident.

Haviris, at least get her tipped. (Where just the tip of the horn is cut)

We would love to have you visit us at

I would love a pet steer, but I've heard they can be pests. Jerseys are my favorite breed of cow too, they're beautiful. He's a handsome little guy! Im glad you're getting him dehorned though, there are too many things that can happen with those things attached!
wink.png

Quote:
Any animal can be a pest so, what's the difference? It's all in the personality of the individual animal. One of the great things about jerseys is they keep that cute look even when full grown.

A chicken pest can't crush you? LOL. I've heard the jersey bulls/steers can be very aggressive, just going by what I've been told. Sorry if it appears that I'm spouting dribble.

I wouldn't recommend making a pet out of any bull as they can turn on you and be dangerous.

A steer isn't so likely to do so. And jerseys are normally sweet natured-there is an exception to every rule.

Oh, see.... I heard about both, lol. Yeah, I would never think about making a bull a pet. We used to raise steers for meat and since we bottle raised them, they were extremely pushy whenever we went in the pasture. That is what Im referring to, because it was dangerous. I guess everyone has their own experiences, and Im sure since we did bottle raise ours, it made them a little too friendly.

Quote:
Not really so much with bottle raising as with you allowing it. One has to remember that what's cute as a calf isn't so cute or safe when they get bigger.

Back
Top Bottom