Meeting like minded people??

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Dixiedoodle, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Not sure where to put this, so I hope, this is a good place... I would like to know how you meet people w/ same likes/dislike? I would love to meet other people who have small flocks of poulrty! When you mention chickens, everyone thinks chicken houses--1000's of chickens in huge buildings..... Not small coops w a few fluffy little butts! I don"t work and all my friends think I am a crazy women for wanting to have honeybees, gardens and chickens... I thought about contacting my AG dept and asking them if we could start a poultry club.. Something to start a contact system for the owner of small #s.... Do you all think this would help? Any suggestions Ideas??? Thanks Dixie

2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Have you gone to a Chickenstock in your area or posted on the "Where am I? Where are you?" thread for your state?

3. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    All of my friends think I am crazy too, so you are most definitely in a virtual world of like minded people. I think that is why I lurk on this forum so frequently. I have spent my entire day canning the fruits of my labor. I love the idea that I know my food, where it comes from, how it was raised, what is and isn't used on my produce. My hubby and I hunt, fish, and grow what we eat. We still use the grocery store for those items that we cannot do ourselves, and for quick-fix-I-don't-wanna-cook-tonight moments. For the most part though, we work hard for what we eat. We added chickens to our lifestyle earlier this year. They are still not laying, but that is okay, I love them anyway. We plan to raise our own rabbits, probably next spring. I enjoy working in my garden, hoeing and weeding and watering. I enjoy canning and freezing what we have grown. I have met a few people like myself at the local farmer's market, but for the most part, there isn't many people out there that are willing to put in the effort required. One of the things that I have noticed about us crazy chicken people is that every single one of us are friendly. Check out the where am i where are you portion of the forums. I haven't found anyone in my area yet who is on here, but look out world if I do.

4. Quote:Ditto! Except we have had chickens for a while so we have eggs. We are actually going to downsize on some things as it is getting to be too much; but still love to spend our time outdoors and with our garden/orchard/chickens/bees and hunting and fishing. We are adding watching the grass grow to our list of "must do's"!!

You have come to the right place to find people who feel the same way that you do! Good luck with all you do!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by