Meeting nutritional needs of hens of different ages

momma jules

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 6, 2014
Winston Salem, NC
I have two age groups among my chickens. My marans are 19 weeks and one is laying already. My other chicks are 15 weeks and are a variety of breeds. How do I make sure my marans get the calcium they need without my younger birds getting more calcium and less protein than they need?

Continue all of them on grower feed until they're all laying. Provide oyster shell in a separate container for the birds laying. I do this and make sure they never run out of OS. I keep one container near the feed and another next to the nests. When the egg enters the shell gland they'll feel the need for calcium and seek it out.

I had similar issues. I have laying hens (just) and had 2 week old chicks,

Found that the hens preferred chick crumb rather than layered feed.

However I wasn't to worried about it as mine roam the garden and feed on the various bugs and snails. The laying hens eggs are extremely hard shells so I assume they are getting what they need.

Continue all of them on grower feed until they're all laying. Provide oyster shell in a separate container for the birds laying. I do this and make sure they never run out of OS. I keep one container near the feed and another next to the nests. When the egg enters the shell gland they'll feel the need for calcium and seek it out.

I have a question: If I provide a separate container of oyster shell, will the younger birds get into it?

They have access to it but won't really like the taste and avoid it.

I've seen a rooster and the occasional chick peck at it, but rarely.

They have access to it but won't really like the taste and avoid it.

I've seen a rooster and the occasional chick peck at it, but rarely.

Thank you. I have been worried enough about it that I am still buying crumbles and starter. Next time we buy, it will all be starter.

Back
Top Bottom