Meeting our neighbors

HenriettaPlume

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 11, 2014
East Lansing
We're getting chicks in a couple weeks, and today decided to share the news with our neighbors. I wrote a note detailing our backyard chickens adventure and put it in a basket filled with egg-shaped goodies. So far, the neighbors have been great and very excited to be part of the process.

I wrote about it here: http://chickenscratchfever.com/2014/03/01/meeting-our-neighbors/

If you have neighbors, how did you go about telling them?

Cheers,
Jillian

We're getting chicks in a couple weeks, and today decided to share the news with our neighbors. I wrote a note detailing our backyard chickens adventure and put it in a basket filled with egg-shaped goodies. So far, the neighbors have been great and very excited to be part of the process.

I wrote about it here: http://chickenscratchfever.com/2014/03/01/meeting-our-neighbors/

If you have neighbors, how did you go about telling them?

Cheers,
Jillian

We live in a part of the city that does not allow poultry (yet). We have been in our house 24 years and have long term neighbors. Very tight-knit neighborhood and we are personal friends with all of them. We invited them over when our chicks were just a few weeks old, let them hold them and tour the coop area, then promised them eggs once our very small flock (4) hens started laying. No one seemed to have an issue.

We have just gotten eggs in the last couple of weeks

We live in a part of the city that does not allow poultry (yet). We have been in our house 24 years and have long term neighbors. Very tight-knit neighborhood and we are personal friends with all of them. We invited them over when our chicks were just a few weeks old, let them hold them and tour the coop area, then promised them eggs once our very small flock (4) hens started laying. No one seemed to have an issue.

We have just gotten eggs in the last couple of weeks

That sounds great. Nice neighbors really make everything so much easier! We will have a small flock, as well. (Three hens.) Once it warms up, we plan on having an open house so everyone can stop by and check out the chicks!

That's a brilliant idea, a lot of people are very curious when they find out we have chickens. I'm sure your neighbours will appreciate the opportunity to stop by. Good luck with your chicks!

There are three houses and a block of units around our place, but we only know two families out of them all. The contact we have usually consists of taking homegrown veggies to the old lady in the units or exchanging letters with the household to the south-east about some gardening issue affecting the boundary fence :p

We got the idea for chickens from the family in the house behind us, who had them when we moved in and have since tripled their flock in size. The family to their right also had chickens. So 'telling the neighbours' wasn't really necessary as they were all used to having chickens in the area already, we just bought a couple of chicks home and most people didn't know we had them until they started singing the egg song. The exception to this was that family from over the back fence, who have three kids (the oldest is 2 years younger than me). When I was younger I'd hop over the fence to hang out with them when none of us had anything better to do, and we kept up to date on each others' chickens. We haven't talked to them since early 2010 though, it's already been a while...

We've never been part of one of those tight-knit communities where everyone knows everyone. Everybody gets on with their own thing round here and our friends live in other suburbs. Neighbours to us have always just been those guys over the fence we can say hi to if we see them (which isn't very often) but it's perfectly fine if we never speak to each other too, lol.

(Part of this might be because we've moved house several times since I was born - my parents moved around before that too, including three city changes and a country change, and we've since moved country again, so the neighbours thing isn't much of a priority.)

That's a brilliant idea, a lot of people are very curious when they find out we have chickens. I'm sure your neighbours will appreciate the opportunity to stop by. Good luck with your chicks!

There are three houses and a block of units around our place, but we only know two families out of them all. The contact we have usually consists of taking homegrown veggies to the old lady in the units or exchanging letters with the household to the south-east about some gardening issue affecting the boundary fence
tongue.png

We got the idea for chickens from the family in the house behind us, who had them when we moved in and have since tripled their flock in size. The family to their right also had chickens. So 'telling the neighbours' wasn't really necessary as they were all used to having chickens in the area already, we just bought a couple of chicks home and most people didn't know we had them until they started singing the egg song. The exception to this was that family from over the back fence, who have three kids (the oldest is 2 years younger than me). When I was younger I'd hop over the fence to hang out with them when none of us had anything better to do, and we kept up to date on each others' chickens. We haven't talked to them since early 2010 though, it's already been a while...

We've never been part of one of those tight-knit communities where everyone knows everyone. Everybody gets on with their own thing round here and our friends live in other suburbs. Neighbours to us have always just been those guys over the fence we can say hi to if we see them (which isn't very often) but it's perfectly fine if we never speak to each other too, lol.

(Part of this might be because we've moved house several times since I was born - my parents moved around before that too, including three city changes and a country change, and we've since moved country again, so the neighbours thing isn't much of a priority.)
We pretty much have the same thing here. The neighbors on one side have/had pit bulls they were not taking care of properly. I had to spend a lot of $ to keep his dogs out of my yard. (last warning to him too regarding his out of control dogs NOT picking on pit bulls he has had rotties, boxers, and some sort of heeler dogs) none of them under control. (His pit bulls got taken away last summer due to BITING a 3 year old child that was walking with his mother who had a baby in her arms) sigh..this was after I spent big bucks to keep his dogs out of my fenced already yard. So I don't give a good golly what he thinks of my 'legal' chickens. I have shared eggs with him along with tomatoes because my birds do sing their egg song at 6 am some days and I don't want trouble. All the other houses are either abandoned/rentals or too far away. Across the street I always share my eggs because I love those neighbors they breed poodles and take such good care of their animals (they are the ones that had the bunnies). We share stuff back and forth all the time. Other neighbors I don't even know and I have been here for 10 years.
Good luck to you with your new chicken adventure. I love having my girls here and I cannot imagine not having them. I look forward everyday to coming home and caring for them and watching them and their funny antics.

Back
Top Bottom