Meeting the neighbors.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by KenK, Dec 3, 2011.

1. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    My wife and I are both introverted and basically have no friends.

I just found out from a cousin that we have new next door neighbors. They live a couple hundred yards away but we can't actually see each others houses through the woods.

Per the cousin they are a nice Mexican couple with small children and he works as the grounds keeper at the golf course right behind us.

They have chickens, can hear their rooster crowing.

Our house is close to the road but you can't see their house from the road. Can't just conveniently see the guy working in his yard and stop.

Should I get a cabbage out of my garden for them and go up there and say howdy?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Of course! Always say hi, it will lead to a conversations to other things.

3. mikensara

mikensara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    New York
    we have a neighbor we dont see much. yesterday i let the chickens free range for a short time while i cleaned the nesting boxes in the coop and they went down to the neighbor [​IMG] he didnt mind at all and he got some a free eggs and an appology from me.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    KenK, you come to my house with a garden fresh cabbage in hand and we are friends for life. Yep, I'm easy. [​IMG]

5. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    Huh. Yet another timely post on BYC. I've just been thinking what an old, cranky introvert I'm turning into and that I need to introduce myself, maybe repeatedly, to the neighbors. Twenty years I've lived here, and I can't seem to keep up with who's in the rental house on the one side, or more than waving at everyone else.

So, some nice fresh lettuces and radish? Or turnips, I have lots of turnips. Or, here, have a rooster! [​IMG] I'm convinced that they all call me the crazy lady.

6. Imprfctme

Imprfctme Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Denton County, TX
    Quote:You crack me up! Who wouldn't love a rooster and some turnips? That should be a basket arrangement.

7. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    Quote:You crack me up! Who wouldn't love a rooster and some turnips? That should be a basket arrangement.

SERIOUSLY, you want a rooster? PM ME IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!

8. Imprfctme

Imprfctme Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Denton County, TX

SERIOUSLY, you want a rooster? PM ME IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!

Ha, ha, no. No, I sure don't want a rooster in suburban NY. [​IMG] I was being funny. I'm not so sure about turnips either, but I would like some lettuces! It was more the mental image of me looking like I do after mucking out the coop ringing a neighbor's bell and saying, "Hi! Nice to meet you! Here is a live bird and some root vegetables!" I should add that my neighbors are more the manicured lawn and tennis clothing type, think Real Housewives of Westchester. We have a new family on our block, I should stop by with some cookies and applesauce and say hi to them. Maybe that will be my project for the week!

9. geckomama

geckomama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    For the first time I am in a new neighborhood.......I would love for my neighbors to bring me some cabbage...or turnips....or lettuce or? Go pull in the driveway and say howdy!

10. spacecowgirl

spacecowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Our next door neighbors and across the street neighbors are some of our best friends! We are very lucky to have tons of other friends who come over all the time, but after moving in, we met them and they have become our closest friends. We talk and hang out on a daily basis, go out together, go on vacations together, the whole deal. We truly consider eachother family.

If we'd been shy and kept to ourselves, we would have never known what awesome people we have living just a few steps away.
    So go over there and introduce yourself! Another good thing is you may just have a great chicken sitter right there if you ever need to go away. ( Of course you'd return the favor). [​IMG]

Good luck; friends are important. I'm an introvert, too, but all these people have brough me WAY out of my shell. It's a good thing.

Let us know if you go for it!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by