MEGA Egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenBiscuit, Dec 5, 2011.

1. ChickenBiscuit

ChickenBiscuit Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    One of my easter eggers laid an egg that is (not eggagerating) twice the size of the others. They've all been pretty standerd in size. this one is so large I can't close the egg carton with it inside. Never seen a chicken egg this large. It is Duck sized, if not bigger! What is going on? Clues: (that may or not be helpful) it was laid on the coop floor just under the nest box, it was covered with poop and some blood smears, the cone end is rough and patchy. I can't post pics.

2. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    We get the occasional huge egg... usually it comes after a day when one of the girls hadn't laid. Almost always a double yolker, too. The biggest we had was 96g (usual size is about 55 - 65g)

Here's one of our big ones:
    [​IMG]

And occasionally we get a tiny one too:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  3. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    Is the EE in question a young layer? It's pretty common for girls new to laying to put out double yolkers, while they're getting their machinery sorted out. My BRs were especially good at it, but I had one from a LB, too.

4. ChickenBiscuit

ChickenBiscuit Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    YUCK. The egg had one yolk, lots of blood and 2 dark masses inside. Should I be concerned?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by