?Mega Zit things in rooster comb? Can't find anything on it. Now with pics

3feathers

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 2, 2014
My rooster has... zits? Mega zits. It seems that the comb grows over a skin sluf location and makes this pocket of white paste like material. Some are harder. Took to it with tweezers and pulled some crazy balls of yitch out. Some were about 1/4 " in diameter. Rooster wasn't too happy but there usually wasn't any blood. I can't find anything on it or if it's normal rooster comb stuff. Only have the one. Not sure who his mother was but had a hen that seemed to get the same things I used to pull them out of her comb. Nothing this epic though.
Comb looks fine otherwise. Anyone seen this or know if it can cause an issue? Not sure if I should try to get them all out or just leave them.

3F

I'll try and get some pictures. He is not the most cooperative rooster. They aren't the squeezing type of zit. They are on the surface and it is more working the ball (zit) loose and it just comes out. Maybe more blackhead like. The skin holding the ball shaped wad of sluf. Once they are loose then they come out easy. I find them in the folds of the comb as well. His comb looks like a brain no spikes and lots of folds.

I read quite a bit about the pox and don't believe it's pox. The comb looks fine with no dead or discolored spots. No ulcers or scabs. I hope to get some pics tonight but he is wary and not happy about being caught. Do people typically vaccinate for pox in the small flocks? Can you vaccinate older birds?

I read quite a bit about the pox and don't believe it's pox.  The comb looks fine with no dead or discolored spots. No ulcers or scabs.  I hope to get some pics tonight but he is wary and not happy about being caught.  Do people typically vaccinate for pox in the small flocks?  Can you vaccinate older birds? 

I don't think their would be a point in vaccinating since it is like human chicken pox. You get it once in your life and your immune and won't get it again. And and avian pox is highly contagious so I would think your other birds would have it too.

Last edited:
I have not been able to lure him into the pump house to catch him. I took this with a telephoto so not the best shadowing from bright sun.
1) I think this may be a pocket but will have to catch him to be sure
2) deeper crevasse and the debris can be cleaned out
3) same as 2

I pulled some out. If you click on the picture you can get a bit better view and look at number 1. It's just a small pea sized spot and when worked a whitish ball of slug will come out. I don't believe there is anything diseased but could find nothing on this...zit type pocket. When I have time I will catch him this weekend and try to get a picture of one of the balls. The bigger softer ones are like cheese? Similar to a subcutaneous cyst material.
My concern would be that if it is dead cell material then it might end up being a good spot for various things to grow. My best guess is that it is a feather follicle that is sluffing skin cells etc out.
Another question is about any way to render him unconscious for a short time. It would make removal if a good idea much much easier. nitrous?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom