Meko my EE laid her first egg, and it's blue! (Pics!)

Pet Duck Boy

Songster
10 Years
Dec 12, 2009
Orlando, FL
The last few hours Meko had been pacing my patio, and was much more vocal than she usually was. She was going to lay soon, I knew it. My 2 RIRs went through this process before they laid. And just an hour ago I observed Meko in the nesting box throwing shavings on her back. I tried not to get my hopes up, thinking she was just praticing since my RIRs practiced nesting before their first eggs. I went out there a few minutes later to give them a frozen water bottle to cool themselves off on. Meko was standing up in the box, panting, staring blankly under her. Everyone else was staring at her too. I new she had laid. My girls have never seen a light colored egg before. So I thought "That's cool" and I went to collect my supposidly "green" egg. As soon as I bend down and look in the box, I spotted a glowing sky blue ball. I thought "Meko....laid a blue egg?" I was told by several people that Meko would probably lay a green egg, since she was one of the more "common EE colors" and had very green feet. But I guess she proved that theory wrong! I might just get a green egg from my white EE that has blue feet, lol! There's northing like the feeling of discovering your first blue egg. Meko is 22 weeks old.

Here's Meko, taken when she was a couple weeks younger.

ShoesChickens031.jpg

Compared to a freshly laid RIR egg.

Mekosblueegg076.jpg

Mekosblueegg078.jpg

Mekosblueegg083.jpg

Mekosblueegg084.jpg

Mekosblueegg081.jpg

Last edited:
Yay for colored eggs! All my hens are light brown layers, but I have 2 EE pullets (Elanor and Jeanette) Who are 6 weeks old. They look a lot like yours, except Jeanette doesn't have puffy cheeks. Where did you get yours, if you don't mind my asking? I am so impatient! I want to know what color I will get!

It's so pretty! My EE lay blue eggs w/ brown speckles and a bluish green green--they look like your Meko! I loved the colored eggs SO much I purchased 11 month old true Ameraucanas... Hoping for more !

Ok. Mine are McMurray birds, but I know the feed stores around here at least order from different hatcheries. I just wanted more diverse chicks than any other hatchery seemed to offer, so I went with McMurray. I almost picked up some feed store EE's (and would have had I known how many chickens I would loose this summer!) but I resisted the temptation.

Meko looks exactly like my 23 week old EE named Pouf - my daughter named her because of the "poofy" feathers on her cheeks as a chick. She has the same coloring, the same black pointy feathers around her neck and partidge coloring - the resembelance is really striking. Pouf hasn't laid yet - but my Marans the same age just started this week so I am hopeful. I am hoping so much that I get blue eggs so your post gave me hope!
smile.png
fl.gif

This is Pouf (not a great picture but hopefully you can see the similarity) -
50211_dsc_0796.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom