Melamine shelving as nesting boxes?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Dusty Gal, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Dusty Gal

Dusty Gal Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2016
    Hey guys, the hubs and I are still in the planning stages as to how to finish up the inside of our coop. I want something easier to clean than raw wood for my nesting boxes. I have some white melamine tower style shelves I'm thinking about using. They are the leftover parts of another project and can give me up to 6 boxes. The openings are just over 12" x 12" and a little deeper than that. I'll pull the backs off and fix them so that the eggs will (hopefully) roll under the back wall for easy and cleaner gathering. I've read that the girls like a darker area to lay their eggs in so I'm wondering if this would be the wrong thing to do. Have any of you out there used melamine?

2. marcyflock

marcyflock Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2015
    If it gets wet it will fall apart. Don't know if it can be sealed. U could put curtains up to make it darker if u wanted.

3. Dusty Gal

Mar 25, 2016
    Hi Marcy, thanks for the feedback. I haven't thought of them getting wet. [​IMG]It will be a walk in coop and I'm putting the boxes where I'll be able to gather eggs from the work area closed off to the ladies. I like the idea of curtains if that helps them. I'll try the units I have since they are already built and see how it goes I guess. But you're right, they won't handle a lot of moisture for sure. Fingers crossed. I have a LOT to learn.

4. marcyflock

marcyflock Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2015
    Hi Dusty Gal, can u put peel& stick tiles on them? I have linoleum on my floor of coop. Bare wood boxes. So far they are holding up. I say use what you have. [​IMG]

5. Dusty Gal

Mar 25, 2016
    Hi Marcy, so sorry to leave you hanging like that. Our coop project had to come to a grinding halt for a while and I haven't been here either. I actually do have some peel and stick tiles already and that's a good idea. I agree to use what you have so I'm adding that to my options. If we ever get the coop up and running, I'll post some pics. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by