Melanistic Bronze? *NEW PICS*

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by earthdance, Oct 16, 2011.

1. earthdance

earthdance Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2009
    Laurelville, OH
    I got some eggs in the spring from a man that had Bronze and Bourbon Red Turkeys. I visited his farm and bought his only pair of royal palm and saw his turkeys and was promised some Bourbon Red hatching eggs once they started laying. A month later I actually got a mixture of many eggs from him at a swap. Due to my incubator fluctuating (I'm a newb) I only managed to hatch 7 of the eggs. One of them oddly enough hatched out solid black. I didn't understand this since I am about 90% sure the man did not have any Black Spanish turkeys. Recently it dawned on me that maybe it is a melanistic form of Bronze. As it has gotten larger you can now see some patterning on some of the feathers, especially the tail. Has anyone heard of a melanistic Bronze? Unfortunately I threw out the guys number just a few weeks ago (wouldn't you know) and I'm not sure if I could contact him. But like I said I saw his farm and did not see any black turkeys of any sort. I'm not sure if the picture is good enough, it is a Tom. All the other turkeys I raised with him got killed by a raccoon so this one was going to be 'Thanksgiving', but if it is something rare I don't want to kill it.........

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  2. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    Interesting. I would like to see some more pics if it's not too much trouble. Maybe some of that tail in the daylight.

3. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    contact the seller and make sure he didnt have any black turkeys. Then we can go from there.
    Whatever he is, hes cute!

4. earthdance

Nov 6, 2009
    Laurelville, OH
    I was finally able to get ahold of the man I got the eggs from. He said that he has never hatched a black turkey and did not have any black turkeys. He did say however that his bronzes had eastern wild in their background. I have seen images of dark phase eastern's on the internet, but I'm not sure what this means. I'm still not really interested in breeding him and I'm not sure if someone would want him for breeding purposes if he is "special". I may get some more pictures soon.

5. earthdance

Nov 6, 2009
    Laurelville, OH
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So what do you all think?

?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by