Meloxidyl dose for 8 lb rooster

chicknmania

Free Ranging
17 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
I have 1.5 mg/ ml oral suspension. I'd like to try it for my EE roosters, he has a swollen and hot foot. I'm thinking the oral dose would be 0.4 ml once a day? (this is the dose that was prescribed by the vet for our peacock a year ago).

Also, I know that you shouldn't mix Meloxidyl with other Nsaids orally. I wanted to soak his foot in an Epsom salts soak too but maybe I should not do this, as I don't know how much Epsom salts would be absorbed into his bloodstream and what kind of interaction there might be? I don't know what's wrong with his foot, but I'm guessing an injury, hopefully not a fracture, but he is pretty lame; otherwise seems healthy.

Can you get clear pictures of his foot including the bottom of it?

Is this medicine a year old? Are you sure it's not expired?

Can you get clear pictures of his foot including the bottom of it?

Is this medicine a year old? Are you sure it's not expired?
The medicine does not expire until 2022. I can try to get pictures of his foot, but it won't be until tomorrow, as I need someone to help me. He's a big guy, I need someone to hold him or photograph the foot, one or the other. I from looking at it by myself this morning did not see anything alarming, just the swelling and heat. I don't think it's bumblefoot, but I suppose it might be.

The dose my vet has me give is 0.25 mg per kg twice a day.
The math for your 8 pound rooster:
8 / 2.2 x .25 / 1.5 = 0.6 ml twice a day.

The dose my vet has me give is 0.25 mg per kg twice a day.
The math for your 8 pound rooster:
8 / 2.2 x .25 / 1.5 = 0.6 ml twice a day.
Good, thanks Kathy! Do you know if I soak his foot in Epsom salts, will he absorb enough Epsom Salts to interact with the Meloxidyl and would it be harmful? I would think not, but just checking.

Back
Top Bottom