Membership recession

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by EweSheep, May 18, 2009.

1. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Has anyone decided NOT to join a membership this year due to the economic recession or one of those budget cuts?

I know I probably would decline my membership of the Orp until next year.

I would still enlist my membership with the Welsummer Club of North America! [​IMG] Besides who could pass up the FREE membership???!!!! [​IMG]

2. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    Hehe I'm not a member of anything!! I have always been poor even without the recession! I do give to groups like the Disabled vets, and ASPCA though! [​IMG]

3. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Not so much memberships unfortunately as donations! I have given a lot of money to various organizations over the years, but DH and I had a long talk about choosing two worthy causes and only donating to them. It was very hard to do.

We gave up on some subscriptions, too. [​IMG]

4. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    Quote:if your going to give anything for animals,I suggest giving actual items to your local shelter,so you know its going for helping the animals,which is what you want,I would think,instead of padding some rich head guys pocket..

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Yes our donations are down too but I help out the food pantries to give a little extra push by giving away more cans than I can use. What I dont eat from the food pantries, I give it right back to them or give it to someone next to us. The smiles and thank yous from those people are priceless.

And yes, the subscriptions are cut out of the budget as well. No more Better Homes and Gardens and Taste Of Home! But I am still keeping my Backyard Poultry subscriptions!

I know a 20 dollar membership can go a long ways but at this time, 20 dollars can be spent for food for your chickens!

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:if your going to give anything for animals,I suggest giving actual items to your local shelter,so you know its going for helping the animals,which is what you want,I would think,instead of padding some rich head guys pocket..

Padding some rich head guys pocket IS right! That is why we do not donate to the Red Cross like we used to. Hubby used to volunteer the Red Cross for seven years and all he got is crapshoot from them and abusive $$$$ going around. Favorism ran amok in there so he finally quit volunteering his time when they told him that he was a security threat to them because he was carrying a pocket knife (to cut boxes and tapes with!)!!!!!! What a JOKE! Now they are hurting for money and food expenses! Boo hoo to them! They got alot of problems anyway!

Back to your regular entertainment section! [​IMG]

7. lizardz

lizardz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    We're still giving, but at smaller amounts. Something a lot of people aren't aware about, and I think it's important for everyone to know, is that if you're giving to an organization that is national (for instance Habitat for Humanity, Big Brothers Big Sisters, etc.), if you donate to the organization itself, the money you donate does not come to your local chapter unless you specifically state that that is where you want it to go. Most local organizations do not receive money from the national headquarters - your local chapter most likely pays money to national in order to be affiliated with them. If you want your money to go to the local organization, donate directly to them. I know this because I work for a non-profit, and before I began working for them I always thought that money I donated went to my local organization - wrong! Many people think that local chapters are supported by the national organization, but that is not typically the case. Local chapters have to raise all their own money. Just wanted to pass this along in case you want you money to stay local. And remember - every donation, whether monetary or time given, helps. Thank you all for the generosity and kindness you show to others.
    Liz

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by