Membrane dried and tan at pip HELP!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by reneegrenville, Jul 26, 2013.

1. reneegrenville

reneegrenville Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2013
    New Zealand
    Please help... My chick has been stuck in the same position with no progress for about 6 to 7 hours. The membrane has now dried up and gone a funny dark tan colour. I think my little baby is stuck! What do I do?? Here's a picture of what it looks like. [​IMG]

2. reneegrenville

Jul 4, 2013
    New Zealand
    Chick is peeping aswell

3. TheTropix

TheTropix Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2012
    Piney Woods in Texas
    Hi Renee,
    How's your baby coming along? I had this happen with a chick yesterday. I made some little cracks in the shell (gently picking at the shell where the hole is) and got the crack somewhat going where the "zip" would be. If you can see its beak, you can wet your finger and put it on the dried part of the membrane that is NOT around it's beak/nose. Is that a wet/very moist towel it's sitting on? That'll help, too. IF you don't see red veins in the exposed part of the membrane, you can give it a little tear to help relieve some of the resistance. (Sometimes those membranes are really strong.) Then put her back in the incubator to keep warm and let her work on it some more. You may have to do this a couple of times. The baby I helped last night is doing great, and with the others that hatched earlier in the day. Good luck and keep us posted on her progress! Best of luck, Renee.
    sherry

4. reneegrenville

Jul 4, 2013
    New Zealand
    Hi Sherry, thanks very much for posting! My little darling has finally emerged from the shell. After I helped it a little, the chick was so eager to get it that I stuck its foot out the pipped hole! I felt like it was in too much of an awkward position to pip the egg itself so I helped it by removing more of the shell. I then put it back in the incubator and it kicked itself out of the piece of shell that was left. All is well now :)

5. reneegrenville

Jul 4, 2013
    New Zealand

6. TheTropix

TheTropix Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2012
    Piney Woods in Texas
    AWESOME!!!! Good job, Renee. [​IMG] Funny you mentioned that it seemed like it couldn't get its foot in the hole to give it some leverage, but when you got its foot out the rest was textbook. That's kind of how the last chick that hatched last night did.. almost exactly!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by