1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Membrane is drying on hatching chicks! Help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by silkieluver_07, Oct 31, 2008.

1. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I seem to be running into problems lately. Some of the chicks that are trying to hatch have unabsorbed yolks. I'm guessing this is from my temperature spike earlier.

The air sac/membrane is drying around the chicks and they can't peck out. Should I add more water? I've never had this problem before.

Good news is that we have 4 chicks and 5-6 still pipping!

2. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    You need more humidity. Add more water immediately. and a warm washcloth around the egg temporarily til you rhumidity gets up

3. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    How long have the eggs been pipped? If it's been a considerable amount of time (mine was over 24 hours), you may want to decide whether you want to intervene and help, or not.

If you look under the sticky post in Incubating & Hatching Eggs, there are some good posts about whether to intervene with the hatching, and if you do, how to go about it.

I just hatched 8 chicks out and I had to help 2 out because the membrane had dried out around them. Both seem to be doing okay; however, one has curled toes and is not walking very well. Not sure if that one will make it or not.

It is a personal decision as to whether you want to intervene or not.

Good luck and keep us posted.

4. silkieluver_07

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks guys. I'll do that immediately.

5. Ms. Lewis Rich

Ms. Lewis Rich Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    I put those on a damp sponge.

6. hatchaholic

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    Ms. Lewis Rich :

I put those on a damp sponge.

I didn't know what to do during my first hatch, so I'm trying to learn for the next one. If you put it/them on a damp sponge, will that increase the humidity too high for the remaining eggs? (Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I have lots to learn...)​

7. Ms. Lewis Rich

Ms. Lewis Rich Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Yes it can bring it up too much, I just use it as a last ditch effort with the last having trouble hatching. then I go in and help them . out and that can be a mistake or you can get a chick that was just to large or turned the other way.

8. silkieluver_07

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I helped two of the chicks by picking some of the membrane away. They wouldn't have made it if I didn't help them. I laid them on a damp cloth since we dont have a sponge. [​IMG] Please pray that they make it!

9. hatchaholic

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    SL - I hope they make it. That is so frustrating to watch. For me, the two I had to help took all the fun out of the hatch. I was so worried about them, I couldn't enjoy the healthy ones.

I hope you have a great outcome.

10. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Sounds like you got it all under control Nice job, Momma [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by