Membrane looks brown peeping and movement has stopped help!

Pics

K.Riggs

Songster
Aug 22, 2017
It's only been 30 hrs since external pip but the duckling isn't peeping back or moving and the members look brown.
I'm struggling to keep humidity over 60% should I put a dish of water in? How do i find out if the baby is alive? Help I've never done this before.

Attachments

• IMAG4195.jpg
    IMAG4195.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 212
Personally, I would consider this an emergency situation, you might need to pick at the shell and try to enlarge the pip. Listen for breathing, drip water on to the membrane. Can you see any veins? If not, start picking the membrane away. The little thing mightve gotten stuck to the membrane — shrink wrapped basically. Rescue him if possible, and if not, I'm sorry for your loss. Good luck. Work slowly if he's still breathing, whistle to him. Try to get him to respond and break him out of the shell.

Personally, I would consider this an emergency situation, you might need to pick at the shell and try to enlarge the pip. Listen for breathing, drip water on to the membrane. Can you see any veins? If not, start picking the membrane away. The little thing mightve gotten stuck to the membrane — shrink wrapped basically. Rescue him if possible, and if not, I'm sorry for your loss. Good luck. Work slowly if he's still breathing, whistle to him. Try to get him to respond and break him out of the shell.
I agree start pulling the shell apart. I like to use tweezers. If it starts to bleed stop for a few min and then resume. I worked it in a circular pattern just as they would have then let the two chicks dry in a Tupperware container with a paper towel in it under a heat lamp till fluffy. Both of mine made it out alive . it's my opinion that at this point there dead if you don't so don't panic. Go for it.

OK one was dead the other the same was alive.

I have removed some she'll it is trying to get out. There is one blood vessle I can see what do I do?? Help!!

Here he is please help I feel so bad the other one died i thought it was resting and too early to assist.

Attachments

• IMAG4196.jpg
    IMAG4196.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 144
OK one was dead the other the same was alive.

I have removed some she'll it is trying to get out. There is one blood vessle I can see what do I do?? Help!!

Pick the shell away slowly, be careful not to burst the blood vessel. Be very careful, and go slow, watch a few YouTube videos to help you out.

Pick the shell away slowly, be careful not to burst the blood vessel. Be very careful, and go slow, watch a few YouTube videos to help you out.

It's trying to squeeze out the hole of I make it any bigger in worried it will be able to and might not be ready. It might break the blood vessle itself it was pushing against it!

It's trying to squeeze out the hole of I make it any bigger in worried it will be able to and might not be ready. It might break the blood vessle itself it was pushing against it!

Let it rest for a while, but keep a close eye on it. If the chick seems distressed, you may need to try to break the shell but leave the membrane. The chick will stop peeping and the movement will weaken if you need to go into rescue mode. Be careful. Keep moistening the membrane, and keep the heat around 99.5-100°

OK that vein has got no blood in it, it has receeded now. The duck is breathing heavy and yawning. I will try to get more she'll off.

Back
Top Bottom