1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Membrane on hatched chick- Should I intervene???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nccatnip, Oct 19, 2007.

1. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    My last two chicks finally made it- both are very active and loud. I think a humidity problem was an issue and one has dried membrane stick on its head, like a cap. Should I do anything or will it eventually come off?

2. Chellester

Chellester Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2007
    Nor Cal
    It will eventually come off. I've had a few hatch with membrane stuck to them, and they are all happy, healthy, non-membrane-stuck-to-them chicks now.

It may take a while, but it will eventually come off.

3. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    Thanks for the encouragement. The other chick did not make it, so helmet head is all alone. I left it overnight in the bator with high humidity hoping to soften the membrane but it had no effect.I tried putting it in with the others that hatched and they swarmed him picking at the membrane. For fear of injury, I isolated it. The membrane is very hard and shows no sign of lifting off.
    Can I maybe put some type of oil to help soften it so it can be peeled off so this little loner can go in with the others?

[​IMG]

4. birdnutz

birdnutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    wyoming
    If thats all it would take to get him in with the others,I'd take it off. Oil or a little warm water should loosen it enough to get it off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by