membranes really dry!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nstamper2000, Apr 20, 2009.

1. nstamper2000

nstamper2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    HUDSON NC
    Ok I have two out and more to go, but all of their membranes are very dry. Please tell me if I am doing the right thing. They have been pipping for about 15 hours. They have gotten nowhere so I pulled away some of the shell on each egg revealing the membrane, just the top part. I took a cotton ball with very warm water and rubbed it on the membrane and put the eggs back in the bator. What now?

2. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Quote:It sounds like you had very low humidity. Since you've already opened the incubator up you might open it one more time and put in a moist warm towel to kick the humidity up high. But, be careful and don't make it so warm that it cooks the chicks. A wash cloth wetted at around 100F-102F would probably work well.

This is just a thought, and from a rank newbie...see my signature line. [​IMG]

Best wishes!!!!!
    Ed

3. nstamper2000

Mar 25, 2009
    HUDSON NC
    Well I have 5 babies now! Guess I am doing something right

4. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Quote:Resilient little rascals, eh? [​IMG]

Congratulation!!!! [​IMG][​IMG]

What's the status of things this morning?

Ed

5. nstamper2000

Mar 25, 2009
    HUDSON NC
    Seven out and doing great. Still have four in the bator and two turkey eggs. They are still trying to come out. Here are some pics of the newbies. They are some cuties!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by