Memorial Day hatch along

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Knighstar679, May 8, 2019.

1. Knighstar679

Knighstar679 Songster

Jun 12, 2018
    Seneca Falls, NY
    I haven’t seen one yet so I figured I would start a hatch along for Memorial Day weekend hatch.

I have 7 Black East Indie eggs set that have growth going in them. We are on day 5 so far.

Attached Files:

2. Chicka_deee

Chicka_deee Songster

Mar 4, 2019
    Humboldt, California
    Yay! Can’t wait until they hatch!!:celebrate

3. Caitlin89

Caitlin89 In the Brooder

May 5, 2019
    Ill join! I set mine on the 7th, 8th and 9th so hopefully my homemade incubator works and we get some chickies!!

4. Knighstar679

Knighstar679 Songster

Jun 12, 2018
    Seneca Falls, NY
    Good luck on your hatch. I do my 7 day candle tomorrow on them. But they were all looking good last I checked

5. Ms Biddy

Ms Biddy One chicken short of crazy

Dec 4, 2017
    My Coop
    I have no ducks at all, but Black East Indies are my favorite of the small breeds. I really want some and am excited to see your hatch. :drool:wee

My hatch is scheduled for a week before Memorial Day. I don't want to jinx it, but I've had a really good start. The funny thing is that I did a few things people commonly think are bad for hatching eggs.

First, I left them on my kitchen table in a room that regularly gets over 70°f. I think it got up to 80°f one day and I was concerned they might start developing. I think one did. Second, I wasn't diligent in turning them but I usually did at least once a day. My justification for that was that hens building their own clutches don't turn the eggs before they start setting. They don't store the eggs upright either, but I did. Then, I kept the eggs on my table for 16, possibly 17 days. Finally, before I set them I washed them (in warm Oxine solution). I was thinking a lot of them probably wouldn't develop.

My update is that it's day 9 and of the 28 eggs set, 27 look great and are well veined. There was one clear that I think had started developing on the table. I had seen some faint streaks in it before I set them. So, I feel like that's a good start and a testament to 'hen smarts' since I took my cues from broodies who manage to build clutches one egg at a time in warm weather before summer.

Since the time I set the eggs in my incubator, I've had two hens go broody. So now I'm in the process of moving them to a broody coop and dividing up the eggs to give them. I got the eggs started and now they get the responsibility of hatching and raising the chicks. :love:fl 20190501_105921.jpg

6. Knighstar679

Knighstar679 Songster

Jun 12, 2018
    Seneca Falls, NY
    Hope your hatch goes great. I just put 5 bantam duck eggs in lockdown. 4 look really good one I am thinking bit the big one on me. My other clutch of Black East Indie is on day 11 with all 7 of the eggs going strong still.

7. BullChick

BullChick Not who you think

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    My quail are due the thirtieth. :caf I am having trouble keeping the preschooler from making me set 50 eggs a week.

8. Knighstar679

Knighstar679 Songster

Jun 12, 2018
    Seneca Falls, NY
    I got my first internal pip on my eggs that went into lockdown on Tuesday. I am super excited! Hard not to keep messing with them.

9. BullChick

BullChick Not who you think

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    Yeah, sitting on your hands can be difficult. It’s after ten in the east. Go to bed, and hopefully wake to an incubator full of fluff balls!

drumstick diva likes this.
  10. KateGoad

KateGoad Chirping

Aug 18, 2017
    I've got twelve in lockdown for a Sunday hatch (). Six have been ordered for next week delivery, and we cannot get our brooder to move so we can see how many eggs she's on. They are probably next weekend.

We turned on the nanny cam, and I saw one egg rocking and rolling.

83637EAD-D40A-4E1B-ADAA-91700F5873EB.jpeg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: