1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Memorials

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chicknmania, May 29, 2007.

1. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    I've noticed a lot of people have sad and/or memorable stories to tell about their pet birds, who have died for whatever reason. Since it does help to talk about it with fellow chicken fanatics, and can make interesting reading, I thought it might be nice to start a memorial thread, and just have a couple of stories people would like to tell about their deceased pets. Or whatever you'd like to say. It doesn't have to be a chicken either; ducks, geese, pheasants, guineas, peacocks, cage birds, or other pets, are all welcome, too! You know I'll start with Whitey (at risk of hogging the stage!)

I've written a lot about Whitey lately, but one of the nicest, most touching memories of him is this: he was given to us by a neighbor, who hatched him from an egg and raised him and his three sisters until a couple of years ago, when we got them all. Over a period of a year or so, two of his sisters died; one from from a predator, one from cold. The remaining one and he were close friends and frequently together. The hen, one morning, became suddenly ill; a couple hours later she fell from her perch, and died. We found Whitey huddled beside her dead body in the middle of the morning; bound and determined to protect her from anything and everything. It was a tear jerker. [​IMG]

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Awwwwwwww.....so sad!!! [​IMG] What a great Roo he was! RIP Whitey![​IMG]

3. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
  4. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    And.....one more story for now, although I probably won't be able to resist more stories about him later! One day we were leaving in the car, in a hurry to go somewhere. As we drove down the driveway, Whitey deliberately stepped in the driveway in front of us, and stood there, not moving. Then, we noticed, he looked towards the road, took a few steps that way, looked back at us, and stopped. We looked towards the road, and noticed about five hens had crossed the field in front of the barn and were almost IN the road! Whitey had been watching them! We jumped from the car, dashed across the field, and herded the hens back across the field towards the barn. As they got closer, Whitey joined in and helped us chase them back. His message was clear..."please go get them".

Thanks for listening...I look forward to hearing other people's stories, too! And I know I'll think of other memorial stories about some of our other fav's.

5. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Well, I THOUGHT it would be a good idea....I guess not....nobody has any stories except me???

6. blue fire

blue fire Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Sorry, I would tell some but I am just starting with my chickens.

7. silkhope

silkhope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    I'll join you! I have lost 5 chickens over the past year, some babies, some not... my two favorite were "Donna King" and "Aretha". I didn't have them but about 4 weeks but I still cried like a baby when they died.

So my neighbor and I order the ornamental layer collection from Murray McMurray and split it. We ended up losing, I don't know, 12 out of 26 within two days (honestly, no harm meant to the hatchery with that comment). I get a few americaunas, a buttercup, white faced black spanish and a cochin along with my favorites, a mottled houdan and a golden polish.

They were going to be my "cool" chickens. I had "barnyard birds" to start out with, have no idea what they are and they're just not "pretty" chickens. Plain, white, kind of gangly, I love them, just wanted different breeds.

Aretha
    [​IMG]

Donna King
    [​IMG]

Aretha seemed like a runt, just smaller then the others and slept all the time. I had to go out of town and left her in care with my mom. She died a few days after that picture was taken while I was gone. I think my mom was just as upset as I was.

Donna King was my fiesty one with the crooked beak. She did so well until the last few days, she just gave up, she wasn't getting enough nutrition and God forbid, you try and hand feed her, she wouldn't have it. I held her while she died.

[​IMG]

8. silkhope

silkhope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    I also meant to add, Whitey was such a special rooster... such heart warming stories!!!

9. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    I think it's a great idea!
    I had a similar thing happen once when I was down to just two old hens. I heard a weird wailing bak-aak from their coop, and when I went out there, Alice had died, and Dorothy was cuddled as close to her as she could get. She was cooing softly at Alice. Other times when I have had chickens die in the presence of others, the rest of the flock ignores the dead one. Obviously this was different - Alice and Dorothy were buddies!
    Not to worry - I gave Dorothy some fertilized eggs so she could become a momma - she loved it! I thought that would be nicer for her than trying to integrate her into another adult flock. She's very mellow and I didn't want to see her end up on the low end of the pecking order...

10. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    If anyone has read my blog then they know about Cinderelle my black hen that I got when I was young. Talk about a best friend. I may just see if I can copy and paste some of what I wrote.

Her name was Cinderelle and she was spoiled. I would carry her around everywhere and she would wrap her feet around my finger like a baby would with their hand. She walked with me to the bus stop every morning and was waiting at that same bus stop when I got home. Together, Cinderelle and I would walk home. She was the greatest. We would ride horses together and sometimes I would "sneak" her into my bedroom where she would quickly fall asleep against my pillow. She was my cheerleader when my sister and I had a mean game of Tether Ball going on. She was the one I secretly cried to; when no one else could understand why I was so upset that my guppie had jumped out of the fish bowl, and died on my bedroom floor. She didn't care if I had morning breath or if my hair wasn't brushed. She just loved me no matter what. We were going to be together forever. Oh the sense of purpose and secret Divine notion I had thinking she was going to live forever, and be my matron of honor at my wedding someday. It was not to be though. Just two short years later, I would get off that bus to find that Cinderelle was not waiting for me. I ran inside to see my mom and my grandparents sitting solemnly at the kitchen table. "Honey" my mom said. "We have some bad news. The neighbor's dog got out and attacked Cinderelle. She didn't make it". I can remember my grandma using her best rosebud embroidered pillowcase as a shroud for my fallen friend. They spared me the memory, by not allowing me to see her in her then "current state". We buried her next to the pasture fence where she would sit, and do reconinsence for me, when my sister and I ambushed the mean neighbor boy with a "tug of twine" activated gopher trap on the foot.

Well, I'm hoping someday to have another chicken like that but it seems like they come along in your life once, just like a really great dog. I'm hoping for an encore though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by