Memory chain

maidenwolfx80

Songster
7 Years
Jul 26, 2012
missouri
This is a wiccan tradition that we do every year. We make a chain of memories to hang on the tree from the past year. We talk about those memories and add to it all the way up until new years day. This year we have made one for our 2 turkey hens who were killed by predators. They were very special to us and it devestated the whole family.

This is made of think string and plastic beads and feathers from the girls. We have also made the paper chains and glued pictures and objects to it. We make several and put them on the tree, or hang them on the walls.

we add to it every year until it goes all the way to the bottom of the tree like a garland. When it is finished we put it up or hang it on the wall. If we put it up we usually get them all out at the end of the year and talk about all those memories.

How fun!!! So glad you shared this lovely tradition.
highfive.gif
Thank you! I thought maybe I could share it. We love this tradition and my kids are always excited to do this. I think there is a native american tradtion that is along the same lines as this. I hope that maybe others can enjoy this lovely memory chain. We do this to remember loved ones lost and fun or exciting things we have done or tried in the past year. Sometimes we have some many ideas we have to just make them into ornaments and hang them on the tree. I also like this idea because I like a different look to the tree each year. Whe it is the same ornaments every year it really starts to look,, well,, ho hum!!!

What a lovely tradition. The chain made for your turkeys is quite nicely done! I like the idea of talking about the memories each year. It all becomes part of an oral history that will be kept alive through the generations.

I spend part of each day reminding my mum of the people, places and events that have been lost to her fading memory. In the process, I've come to appreciate our precious memories and traditions all the more.

Chel

What a lovely tradition. The chain made for your turkeys is quite nicely done! I like the idea of talking about the memories each year. It all becomes part of an oral history that will be kept alive through the generations.
I spend part of each day reminding my mum of the people, places and events that have been lost to her fading memory. In the process, I've come to appreciate our precious memories and traditions all the more.
Chel
We have issues with memory lose in my family so I know how that feels. Sorry that she is losing some of that. She is lucky to have someone to remind her. I am trying to pass those things along to me kids. Traditions and memories. We sit around the fire, if nothing else once a month, to share stories. It is a time we can all connect and unwind. We do it once a week when time is permitting. It is important that we teach out kids to slow down and appreciate lifes beauty and see all the wonderful things we hold inside of us. One new years eve, we light candles in every room and shut down the lights. We talk about the things we need to improve and appologize if we feel we hurt someone for something. We state the things we will change and the dreams for the year, all of it is written down and we place it on the fridge for us to be reminded. At midnight we open the front and back doors and (briefly cause its cold) to release all the negative energies pent up from the year. We start anew every calander year. I think it is important to remember and I just love how this turkey memory chain turned out. I am going to make a garland out of them too. Hope it goes right lol.

Back
Top Bottom